JustaBill

Ladies I need some laundry help!!!!

My wife got a new job, so to help out with the house work I'm tryin to do laundry since I'm home today. Unfortunetely she didn't get it all sorted. My question is, is a blue shirt dark colors or regular colors. I know there is some fucked up secret formula you girls have when it comes to laundry that I have no idea how it works. All I know is last time I screwed it up I didn't hear the end of it for weeks. Any help would be appreciated. And if any of you are close by there is beer in the fridge if you wanna help a poor soul out :)
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

Oh no, last time I did just a pick up load at the end of the day. I combined everything and it made 1 nice size load. Holy Cow. She wasn't exactly pissed, but she wasn't doing a happy dance either LOL

My wife got a new job, so to help out with the house work I'm tryin to do laundry since I'm home today. Unfortunetely she didn't get it all sorted. My question is, is a blue shirt dark colors or regular colors. I know there is some fucked up secret formula you girls have when it comes to laundry that I have no idea how it works. All I know is last time I screwed it up I didn't hear the end of it for weeks. Any help would be appreciated. And if any of you are close by there is beer in the fridge if you wanna help a poor soul out :)

Okay, there are some basic lines that you shouldn't cross if you want things to come out satisfactorily.

Red and warm-colored things should be washed separately. Cold/cold, no bleach.

Whites do best separately as well. Bleach or bleach substitute can't hurt, and raising the temperature is okay, too.

Jeans and dark fabrics should be separated. Cold/cold is fine, no bleach. Greasy or seriously grimy duds should be washed separately.

I break the rest down to cool colors and khaki/tan/yellow loads. Cold/cold, no bleach. Underwear and socks go in these (elastic likes cool temperatures).

Since I have enough clothing to go a couple of months or more without doing laundry, I can usually put together full loads of each type (don't overload - it defeats the purpose). With a family, it takes a LOT less time to build up a sufficient backlog.

Blue skies,

Winsor

A blue shirt can be washed with the rest of the colored load as long as it has been washed before (so it won't run) and it should be washed in cold water. Only use color safe bleach, like Clorox 2, if you feel you need to.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Whoa, I never knew it was that complicated. Before I was married I sorted them work clothes and non work clothes and had three baskets. Dirty work clothes, dirty regular clothes and clean clothes.

Thanks Skymama, I should be safe then....whew

Well, this always worked for me. Assuming everything has been washed before (not new dark clothing like jeans, etc) toss it all in the washer on cold/cold. All squeeky clean and no hassle. Sheets and towels I do separately on hot/cold.

Haven't screwed anything up yet. Except the one time I neglected to check pockets and had a pen blow up somewhere along the line.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Whoa, I never knew it was that complicated. Before I was married I sorted them work clothes and non work clothes and had three baskets. Dirty work clothes, dirty regular clothes and clean clothes

I'm a Chemical Engineer, not a homemaker. I look at it from the standpoint of surfactant efficacy, dye migration, etc..

In general, Skymama's advice is sound. Something color-safe like Cheer in cold water allows a greater range of compatibility between colors.

Blue skies,

Winsor

By the way, before you just start throwing everything in the dryer, check with your wife first if she wants anything hung to dry. There are certain shirts that I always hang dry, like shirts with a bit of spandex in there and certain all cotton shirts I don't want to shrink. When in doubt, hang it!
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

By the way, before you just start throwing everything in the dryer, check with your wife first if she wants anything hung to dry. There are certain shirts that I always hang dry, like shirts with a bit of spandex in there and certain all cotton shirts I don't want to shrink. When in doubt, hang it!

See?, that's why I'm still SINGLE!!!, I don't have time for all that crap :D:D:D:D

No kidding. I almost feel like I'm in over my head LOL. If they weather would clear up I'd go throw myself out of an airplane....damn rain

All my life, I've put all the laundry together, regardless of color or how dirty it is, and set it to the highest temperature possible, with regular soap (whatever happened to be available in the really big jug when I went to the store). Haven't had a problem yet. ALso, I dry everything (except brand new t-shirts) on permanent press (which I think is the hottest setting). Again, no problems there.

My fiancee hates it when I do laundry, but there's yet to be any damage to any of either of our clothes. I figure if I can was a few sets of BDUs that are covered in mud and grease and have been in the field for a month with a nice set of clothes without any damage, anything will work.

Your mileage my vary, but it's worked for me.

Mike

Since you're home anyway and it's raining, I also think you should clean the bathrooms, vacuum, dust and cook dinner. ;)

Geeze Winsor you make it sound complicated. Here's what I do.

Whites (all whites towels, shirts, socks underwear, etc.): warm/warm regular cycle bleach if needed

Towels: warm/warm small amount of bleach if needed. regular cycle

Jeans: hot/warm regular cycle

Work shirts/pants: cold/cold perminant press cycle NO bleach

colored clotes: I use warm wash cycle but use cold if in doubt/cold rise. NO bleach

If you use bleach put it in when the tub has filled and let the water agitate for about a minute before putting your clothes in.

edited to add - I put grey shirts in with the whites.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

Okay, there are some basic lines that you shouldn't cross if you want things to come out satisfactorily.

Red and warm-colored things should be washed separately. Cold/cold, no bleach.

Whites do best separately as well. Bleach or bleach substitute can't hurt, and raising the temperature is okay, too.

Jeans and dark fabrics should be separated. Cold/cold is fine, no bleach. Greasy or seriously grimy duds should be washed separately.

I break the rest down to cool colors and khaki/tan/yellow loads. Cold/cold, no bleach. Underwear and socks go in these (elastic likes cool temperatures).

Since I have enough clothing to go a couple of months or more without doing laundry, I can usually put together full loads of each type (don't overload - it defeats the purpose). With a family, it takes a LOT less time to build up a sufficient backlog.

Blue skies,

Winsor
OMFG! Are you serious?:S
That would drive me crazy even if it's only every couple of month, plus I don't have the facility to keep all those clothes or the eighteen wheeler to go to the laundromat! (Yes, some of us still have to frequent those facilities!)
I only separate colors/whites and light colors/delicates.
Whites get washed in hot water, colors warm, delicates in cold.
Make sure you read the label for care instructions in new clothing before tossing it in with the rest. Piece of cake!
Also, I never quite understood washing everything or most things in cold water. Delicates, yes, but sheets towels, cotton underwear, things that you want extra clean? :S

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Before I was married I sorted them work clothes and non work clothes and had three baskets. Dirty work clothes, dirty regular clothes and clean clothes.

Only three? What about the "not-clean-but-not-quite-dirty-yet" piles?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I use two piles. Dark colors get cold/cold, and whites/light colors get warm/cold. Reds are wierd so I just throw them in the trash.

Blues,
Dave

That's the piles I have, except I didn't know reds were weird. If I don't have too big of a load, I'll just throw everything in one set, and stick it on cold/cold. Since cottons shrink, I buy one larger size now.
This ad space for sale.

Only three? What about the "not-clean-but-not-quite-dirty-yet" piles?

Blues,
Dave

Well those went on the floor :)