SpeedRacer

Sox or Cards?

how did this thread sink below the Astros vs Cards poll??:S

predictions from Sports Illustrated:

Tom Verducci, Sports Illustrated
St. Louis doesn't have enough premium pitching to withstand the Boston offense in what will be an entertaining series. The Curse ends on Halloween Night.
Red Sox in 7
John Donovan, SI.com Senior Writer
If Curt Schilling breaks down, this is over. Cards win in a walk. But if he pitches like he did in Game 6 of the ALCS, he's the difference-maker. The Cards' lineup is great, granted, but Boston's bangs, too, and the Sox have lesser pitchers to face.
Red Sox in 7
Daniel G. Habib, Sports Illustrated
Offensively, these mashers have found their matches. The Red Sox led the AL in runs per game and slugging percentage; the Cardinals led the NL. In Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz, the Red Sox, alone among the playoff qualifiers, can bang with Albert Pujols and Scott Rolen. Consider Boston's massive edge in starting pitching, assuming Schilling is healthy, and its devastatingly durable closer, Keith Foulke -- compared to the iffy, one-inning Jason Isringhausen -- and the Sox seem sure to get it done.
Red Sox in 6
Albert Chen, Sports Illustrated
A clash of two juggernaut offenses, the series will come down to middle relief. Julian Tavarez, Kiko Calero, and Ray King have been sharp in October and should get the job done.
Cardinals in 6
David Sabino, Sports Illustrated
The Cardinals beat Roger Clemens to get to the Series, but he'll be the man to blame when they lose Game 7. The Rocket got rocked for six first inning runs in the 2004 All Star Game, thus giving the Red Sox the home-field advantage they'll need to finally win it all.
Red Sox in 7
Ryan Hunt, SI.com Senior Producer
Remember what happened to the Yankees last season after an emotional, do-or-die seven-game ALCS victory over the Red Sox? Someone forgot to tell them it wasn't the World Series, and they were steamrolled by the Marlins. And Florida didn't have Albert Pujols. But beating the Yankees is a nice consolation prize.
Cardinals in 6
Jacob Luft, SI.com Baseball Producer
The Cardinals' pitching is underrated, with Woody Williams and Jeff Suppan serving as competent counterparts to Curt Schilling and Pedro Martinez. The Red Sox's dynamic pitching duo won't be the difference in this series. Instead, it will be the superior defense and baserunning the Cardinals employ compared to the butchery of the DH-laden Red Sox. As long as St. Louis' pitching can limit Boston's home runs, this one will be all too easy.
Cardinals in 5
-----------
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

sink below the Astros vs Cards poll

Have you read some of the recent posts there? I don't think it could get much lower than that thread :( I think "neener neener" would describe it best.

That said, I like the Sox more than any team but the Astros, so it has to be the Sox.:)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I grew up near Boston. Red Sox fans are nuts, in a good way & sometimes in a not so good way. Its like a religion to some of them.

But they've been waiting for this a long long time. They went nuts when they beat the Yankees, just think what Boston is going to be like if they win the world series. They might as well not open any businesses on Monday, because I think there will be too many hangovers scheduled for that morning.:D

as it has been said: Boston is a drinking town with a baseball problem.
;):D
Speed Racer

I was born in Boston, and the only professional sports organization I have ever followed is the Red Sox. The only time I really pay attention is when they have a shot at a pennant at least, and have tried to watch or listen to every World Series game in which they've been.

This time I think they have a better shot at it than they did in years past, but only a fool would underestimate the Cardinals. I was in St. Louis a few weeks ago, and the mood could best be described as having reached fever pitch. Those guys are good, they're hungry, and they WANT to win. They are not going to roll over and play dead.

Until the last pitch of the last game I will be holding my breath. The Sox have demonstrated that it is distinctly possible to come back from trailing 0-3 to win, so I won't be sure of the winner until it's over.

Everyone I know who spent time in Boston in years past and spent the odd afternoon in the bleachers at Fenway is watching the series. So far the show has been nothing short of amazing.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Well, the Sox _should_ win now that they are up 3 - zip. They will not let up. From last years ALCS, they know how lousy it feels to be close and then lose and from this year's ALCS they know that it ain't over until you've won 4. They are a good combination of loose and determined.

Pedro was great after the first 2 innings. He very nearly let the Cards back in to the game in the 1st and 2nd but the Cards ran themselves out of both innings without a run. They look snakebit right now.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Since I live in Massachusetts now, I've got Sox fever. It's ironic because when they were last in the WS in '86 it was against the Mets. Since I lived on LI back then, I was completely supporting the Mets. They did not let me down as I don't think the Sox will let me down this year.

WOOOOHOOOO!

B|B|B|

OK, the Sox won the first two, despite the sucky defense and the total of 8 errors in two games.

Hopefully they've got their shit together now.

Calm down, Red Sox.

So what's the story now then?
B|
from Boston Globe:

It looks as if the planets really are aligned for the Red Sox this time. A lunar eclipse is due to start less than an hour before the Sox and St. Louis Cardinals play the fourth game of the World Series tonight. If skies are clear, the moon over Busch Stadium will be blood red in the late innings.

There has never been a full lunar eclipse in the middle of a World Series game. Red October, indeed.
------------------------------
so, if the Red Sox win the World Series, will Hell freeze over??
B|
Speed Racer

so. until this year, there has never been a case where a team that was trailing 3-0 in the playoffs won the pennant.

But this year the Red Sox broke that record.

So now we have a situation where the Cardinals are trailing 3-0 in the World Series. And again, that record has never been broken.

Is it possible that this could be the most memorable World Series in history??

:o

edited to add: all I know is I seem to be drinking a lot more beer than usual. and that's saying something.:P:):D
Speed Racer