SuperKat

Do you use the skydiving to boost up your confidence?

A friend of asked me if I was interested in interviewing for job opening for a smaller but a well to do company as the main IT guy and future head IT guy of the company. I told him, "well, my pay me shit for what I'm doing at A & E and they work me like a dog to the point where lunch breaks are non existent but the benefits are great. I'm a little scared to leave my job. What if I don't make it there and I don't get employed any where else? I lose my security". He told me, "Dude, you jump out of planes every weekend and you're scared?!!! Get real!". When he said that I had so much confidence built up inside me. I immediately spent 5 hours updating my resume and sent it out to him and 4 other prospective employers. I really felt good about myself. I felt that there was no task that I couldn't accomplish. Has this ever happened to you? I even feel good now. It's a feeling I know will last because I constantly remind myself about it now.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

yeah it boosted my self confidence but......jumping out of planes and financial security are 2 different things.
Just cause you have not died jumping does not mean you will have job security and an income or plan of any type.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Just cause you have not died jumping does not mean you will have job security and an income or plan of any type.

No, of course not dude. I'm just saying. I wasn't confident enough to take the risk. I was miserable in my job but happy to be still working. The way I see it now is I still have a job and I can go out and see how green the grass is on the other side, get it? It's all about taking that risk. You'll just never know if you could have done better if you don't take the risk. That's a pain that I don't want to have to endure in my life. I already have enough couldas wouldas and shouldas and what ifs in my life. At least I'll know myself that it didn't work out and I learned from it. Instead of sitting back, taking bullshit, eating shit on a spoon and smiling and being miserable.

You should go for it mate, new is always a good thing.
It sounds like if your future boss says something like that to you that he could also develop respect towards what you do. Maybe it gives him confidence in you knowing that you jump out of planes. it might say to him that you have good confidence in what you do in life.

I was not trying to discourage you at all.

Good luck with it, i myself hate staying at the same old job.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Sorry to say but in todays market place no one has job security unless you own the company, then it is your to have or your to lose...

Ain't that the truth, GW. Congrats on your reelection.

I know of what you speak. I firmly believe that skydiving comes into different people live's for different reasons.

For me, it was the taking a risk factor and believing in myself. I, like you, spent much of my professional life eating shit on a spoon and asking for more. NO MORE! Probably sounds corny, but knowing in my heart that I can look out the door of an airplane at 14,000 feet, swallow my fear, steel my resolve and fucking save my own life gave me the courage and knowlege of my own self worth to tell those employers to kiss my ass.

I still say that on a daily basis when my boss undermines me or gives me some shit assignment. "Kiss my ass, talk to me at 14k."

Or when some nutbag gets in my face about something, I put on my "jumprun" face and gee, for some reason, they just back down. Quick!

Make sense?

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

I was not trying to discourage you at all.

I know dude. Didn't mean to seem defensive but when I'm charged up like that I have be a rock.

Good luck with it, i myself hate staying at the same old job.

sounds like you and me are in the same boat. I don't know what your situation is like. Me, I'm not married and I don't have kids so I can afford to take the risk.

I, like you,

I like you too but I hardly know you. Lol j/k.:)

Probably sounds corny, but knowing in my heart that I can look out the door of an airplane at 14,000 feet, swallow my fear, steel my resolve and fucking save my own life gave me the courage and knowlege of my own self worth to tell those employers to kiss my ass.

That's cool. I feel the same way. However, I don't have enough balls to tell my employers that. I sometimes wish I did. I guess, it's the fear of being fired thing again. I hate being controlled by that fear. I sometimes do wish I could tell my bosses to screw themselves.

I still say that on a daily basis when my boss undermines me or gives me some shit assignment. "Kiss my ass, talk to me at 14k."

Do you really say that to his/her face or under your breath?

I put on my "jumprun" face and gee, for some reason, they just back down. Quick!

How does that look like? Can we see a picture of it. I would like to incorporate it if I think it'll work for me too.

Me, not married, no kids, got one backpack, one set of cameras, one gear bag, 2 passports and a different country every year or 2 until i am 30.
I do marketing for my home dz in new zealand while travelling as well as running kitchens and/or pubs. I cant stand staying still for 2 long, things just bore me.
Peace

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I am very confident in everything I do, everything i put my mind to, everything I control . When it comes to things others control like my paycheck, I am confident but never cocky. B|B|

---:S
"there's a fine line between hobby and mental illness"

I am very confident in everything I do, everything i put my mind to, everything I control . When it comes to things others control like my paycheck, I am confident but never cocky.

I see...I guess you hate your job too, huh?

Ok, you busted me. NO, I don't say that exact thing to his face, but I repeat that to myself to give me the courage to call him on it.

You know the jump run face, you don't need a pic! Just think back to when the plane goes silent as everyone puts their helmets on, pin checks all around, handle checks, funky hand signals etc. and then the wait for green light. THATS jumprun face. :)

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

you rock!!! i would love to do that! hopefully, after graduation (may, 2005) i'll be able to do the same thing!

i figure after busting my ass in college for 4 1/2 years, i deserve some travel time!

no bondage atleast until 30! -- 8 years left!!!B|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS#269
Team Dirty Sanchez#41

no bondage at least until 30!

Better stay in school then. Bills have a way of continually coming.

Of course, grad school is no great shakes either. Lots of work, no money, and no guarantee that the years spent will actually earn you any more money when you finally crawl out, dazed and sick from years of frozen pizza and 99 cent burritos.

Unless you were talking about the other kind of bondage, in which case I'm sure you'll get lots of responses. ;)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

What? 30! So I'm not supposed to be bumming around DZs doing sod all any more? Rats! I was working on the 'life begins at 40' program :D Now if only I could figure out how my current skill set has anything to do with jobs on planet earth! Guess I just lack confidenceB|

I am NOT responsible!!!

Hey Brotherman Nico!
You're a funny guy. You probably won't even check this thread thinking it died. Well, it's alive! First (if I may,) skydiving is an outdoor event that, even though it's social, is extremely individualistic. Furthermore, life is social and interactive. What I'm trying to say is that the confidence gained from skydiving is a confidence associated with physical events. The confidence you're looking for is directly proportional to social events & situations (exposure brings composure.) Over many years I've interviewed some 300+ applicants for positions where I work. Studies show we hire people like ourselves or have traits which we admire. Dude! You're a likable guy who would instill confidence and convey competence in your ability to get the job done. Apply elsewhere.. and tell your employer that, if you don't get a raise, you're leaving!
Whatever you do, keep pumpin' into your 401 k and investments baby! Regardless of job and finances.
... EAT LIFE OR LIFE WILL EAT YOU!

You're always the starter in your own life!