douwanto

Stolen Gear on Ebay???

kdflyer is selling several peices of gear on ebay. His terminology and lack of understanding of the gear makes me suspicious. He is offering a vector 11 tandem passenger harness as a skydiving rig with all parts included. also he has a skydiving helmet with mic (cameye) installed. Looks and smells fishy.

Item number: 220478199572
Item location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

Judging from his other current auctions he sounds like a non-jumping pilot/mechanic who either worked for or had a small jump operation going that's now defunct. The passenger harness, helmet, and jumpsuits just look like stuff that was left behind. You might be surprised to see the amount of abandoned stuff a DZ collects.

Anyway, I don't think it sounds at all fishy.

It is fishy when someone is selling a complete rig in a gearbag with alti, jumpsuit, and helmet (like it would be if stolen from a car or home) and then doesn't seem to know what they are talking about . . .

NickD :)

A little off subject but in my profession(tattoo artist) when we sell things on ebay or anywhere for that matter we require that it be shipped to a licensed shop. That way it stops just any random person from getting there hands on tattoo equipment that they can use at home and mess someone up. Why doesn't the skydive community do something like that? Like you have to provide you license number before it is sold or it be shipped to the dz(for people who buy them before they have finished training)and as well people who are selling provide their license number when selling to somewhat provide some prof they are a skydiver and not someone who just scored $5000 worth of equipment out of someones car.
Stop looking at me

The smart ones do something like that. You can use a rigger in the area or in some cases the DZO will agree to it. Both parties send their part of the deal, gear/money to the “broker” and if everything checks out the “broker” makes the exchange. Some riggers will charge a modest fee for this service but it is better than getting hosed.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yeah I know the part of having your rigger or DZO act as an escrow and making sure the equipment is in whatever condition the seller says it is in(correct me if you were thinking something different). More what I was talking about was a seller and buyer providing the proper information showing that you are involved in skydiving. As in if I asked so and so seller for their license number and he came back with his drivers license number, I would know he is not involved in this sport in anyway and would then be thinking he stole it or "just came across it". Should also be vise versa for a buyer, no skydiver should ever sell their equipment to just anyone. God knows the idiots who whould think they could just jump out of an airplane(or any BASE)and be just fine.

The equipment I use for my job are easy to come by and shouldn't be. To many people tattooing out of their kitchen. I won't say it takes away from us trained, licensed professionals, just makes for more work when we have to fix or cover them up. But skydiving is not getting a bad tattoo in a kitchen... Anyone can pick up a tattoo machine and make a mess on someone.(And also spread whatever)

More what I am saying is making sure that who you are selling to and who you are buying from is not just some jackass who "came across" or who "thinks this looks fun" type of people. Sorry i have just had thousands worth of stuff stolen. Some recovered(Hard to sell a $1600 sterilizer to the pawn shop!)

Also most companies that sell tattoo machines, ink, needles, whatever won't even sell to you unless you have already faxed them a copy of your license. And yes you can find them that don't care. Fuck them.
Stop looking at me

If you read the first description posted in the add you can tell he has no idea about skydive equipment. He clearly thought the passenger harness was a complete rig. Any pilot worth his salt would have known what a pilots rig looks like at the very least. but I may be jumping to conclusions. He also responded to me that he used the equipment many times and everything works great???? Really I wonder what equipment he uses with the mic in the helmet??? He also said the jumpsuit was made for him at 200 and was a good tight fit???

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

no skydiver should ever sell their equipment to just anyone

WHY??

Now before everyone jumps on board here, I know there is the case of selling High Performance gear to the newby and we all need to be wary of that.....

However,

After my tandem and when I decided to take the FJC, I went home, got on Ebay, and purchased the cheapest "complete rig" available. Had no idea of what I was getting, got it home and disected it, piece by piece. Had no intention on jumping it, it is just how I am. I was the most gear aware person in my FJC:ph34r:

FYI, the rig was an talon 1, maveric main, and 5 cell swift reserve. Packed and sold by a rigger as inspected and jump worthy. Knowing what I know now, I would indeed say the rig was jumpable, all be it out dated. Did the seller do anything wrong, I say no, he just cleared out some onld junk, helped out a 'would be skydiver' and pocketed $350. A win win situation in my opinion.

For what its worth, the swift is still in service, by a rigger that I gave it to, the maveric is in my closet, and the talon was my wife's first, and now standby, rig. Probably the best money I have spent in skydiving yet, if you consider the training I got from it. Under your system, I would have missed out on this.

Now,

for you new jumpers, I am NOT recommending you go by some old gutter gear to examine, it is just what worked for me.

for those "thinks this looks fun" type that lpdwntnd is speaking of, good luck with that, and remember, Darwin is watching.

and even for those who are eager to downsize beyound your skills, and seek out gear and places to jump where people may not know your skills, as an Instructor in this sport I will strive to give you all the sound advice that I can possibly give, but I must warn you, Darwin is watching you too. Yet I know, as well as you do, that no system we could implament will keep you from finding a way to kill yourself. If I thought it could, I would support it to no end.

Sorry for the length and the hijack, and no offense meant to you lpdwntnd, but it really bothers me that so many people think that micro governing ones oprotunites will reduce risk for those being governed.