ger00039

crossfire2 glide-ratio

Going from memory here .. we did a cross-country a couple of years back from 6 miles out, exit altitude 12000'. The Triathlons did not make it back, most of the 9-cells barely made the dropzone, the Crossfire made the DZ at about 4000'. There will have been wind, but not howling, it was not that kind of XC. :P Best you can say from that, of course, is that the Crossfire is trimmed flatter than most other canopies.

Size or wingload is not really important; you can "upsize" by riding in brakes without affecting your glide ratio. That is a fact, Brian Germain has the supporting data. (This is about brakes affecting glide ratio. It's not about suicidal downsizing "but that's OK, I'll fly it in brakes." Have to be careful here ..)

Johan.
I am. I think.

Borrow a GPS with a barometric altimeter and then do some maths.

That won't be accurate because you're still trying to measure according to ground-speed, which will vary. The only way is to use an accurate altimeter to measure your descent and a hand-held anemometer for your speed and calculate it with the time to descend a couple thousand feet (for better accuracy) traveling in a straight line.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher