bertusgeert

The Castle

Has any of you Americans seen "the castle"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118826/

What did you think of the ozzie humor?
I thought it was hilarious, want to know if americans liked it?

They did an editing job on it for the American version, and I think that it did quite a bit of damage to it. Was better left alone

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

I've seen it (and about every other movie ever made).

It's okay. Like, it's about your typical Redford crappy prison movie. Is it a bad movie? Yes. Was it worth to watch (fun to watch)? Eh...yea. ;)

I don't remember much of what happened, I just remember thinking that it sucked, and I sorta liked it.

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

it's better than 90% of the overproduced, overacted rehashed tripe that comes out of hollywood ;):P but the humour is very Australian and yes the movie isn't epic, it's simply supposed to be entertaining, much like most things Australians seem to do.

I haven't seen the altered version but I know it exists. It's terrible they americanised it, such a shame our country doesn't feel like it's culture/humour (however obscure a branch this may be) is strong enough to be marketed by ourselves to the states.

oh well. I like it anyway, but i'm not american.
:)

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

I know a bunch of South Africans (me included) that love it, i think it's because Aussie life and SA culture/humour is so similar. Of course that still doesn't help you find out if Americans liked it :S

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I know a bunch of South Africans (me included) that love it, i think it's because Aussie life and SA culture/humour is so similar. Of course that still doesn't help you find out if Americans liked it :S

I agree with you on that one. Humor and culture are funny and hard to understand (for me anyhow).

Most Americans seem to like British humor...
Aussies like British humor....
So do a lot of south africans....

Americans don't quite like Aussie humor or South African humor (the gods must be crazy)

Aussies dont like American humor either....

When I first arrived in the land, I thought SNL was retarded. I still dont apreciate much of it. Comedy Central never entertained me except for a few programs. THe longer I stay though, the more accustomed I get.

Feel welcome to share your insight on humor and what it is... I wanna know what you all think...

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Like you I don't get most American humour, although there are a few programmes out there that are really funny - House (new medical show starring Hugh Laurie), Family Guy, Malcolm in the Middle and Arrested Development. Haven't got cable so don't know any others that may be around.

I think that the difference is in the use of subtlety.

Liz

When I first arrived in the land, I thought SNL was retarded. I still dont apreciate much of it....The longer I stay though, the more accustomed I get.

Feel welcome to share your insight on humor and what it is... I wanna know what you all think...

I have lived in a variety of cultures, and humor is definitely culture-bound. And beyond mere language differences. Especially political cartoons and comic strips....I knew I was finally immersed in a culture when I could understand why everyone around me was laughing at something....

Related to that is how a culture reacts to someone FARTING....some places everyone is stony silent. In other places people will comment out loud in a 'caring' way....other places the reaction can be quite crude....:|

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton