poweroff

Riser length

I like long risers for many reasons. If you pull frontrisers you will find it easier to pull from a bit higher up. Basically I just prefer long risers. I think it's good to be able to reach the slider without problem but no reason to have short risers if you ask me. How it effects the flight of the canopy I am not sure though.

Longer risers create a longer overall length between your harness and the canopy. This creates a longer recovery arc, and therefore more performance if you are able to use it correctly.

longer or shorter arms is another reason to get different length risers.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

yes, on most risers one is equipped with an RSL ring. However, I'd recommend you to order to identical risers with the RSL ring pointing inwards. That will let you have the RSL operational on any rig =)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

It does affect the performance, however the effects are going to be hard to notice at low wing loadings.

That too.;)

:$ oops, ddn't see that he only had 25 jumps.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Risers length will not affect the flying of your canopy but will affect your flare capability. For instance, PD parachutes have generally a long toggles range. The flare with 19" risers at full arm length will be weeker than the flare from 23" risers by an amount of 4". If you are highly loading that parachute, in a no wind situation you will have maybe to use full arm down. Therefore a 23" risers in that case will be appreciated. Safire 1 parachutes have short toggles range therefore a full flare with 25" risers can happen at chest level while with a 21" riser it will occurrs 4" lower. The riser length is not the only factor for flaring. Your arm length has to be taken in account as well.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

For instance, PD parachutes have generally a long toggles range...

...Safire 1 parachutes have short toggles range therefore a full flare with 25" risers can happen at chest...

Huh, i have found quite the opposite, I havn't jumped a safire 1 but icarus canopies in general seem to have longer flare range/ stallpoints than PD's.

not that that would effect the point you are conveying but I have found PD canopies to be twitchier with shorter stall points, than icarus.

Maybe just me?

Risers length will not affect the flying of your canopy but will affect your flare capability. For instance, PD parachutes have generally a long toggles range. The flare with 19" risers at full arm length will be weeker than the flare from 23" risers by an amount of 4". If you are highly loading that parachute, in a no wind situation you will have maybe to use full arm down. Therefore a 23" risers in that case will be appreciated. Safire 1 parachutes have short toggles range therefore a full flare with 25" risers can happen at chest level while with a 21" riser it will occurrs 4" lower. The riser length is not the only factor for flaring. Your arm length has to be taken in account as well.

If you change the length of your risers, you have to also change where your toggles are set. If you don't change your toggle settings you will have the above stated problems. With correct toggle setting, despite riser length, you shouldn't see these problems. I have used risers from 19 inches to 25 inches and after resetting the toggles, I have a normal flare.

Agreed!
I have only jumped Safire 1 -149 and 129 and a tiny Crossfire - form the Icarus line - but found that Safire 1 needed a full flare.
Then I laughed at other jumpers who whined that Safires did not flare when they only pulled toggles to navel level!