dorbie

PO'd at RealTV

Well I just watched a new jumper "Jim" who had a mal on his first static line jump followed by a cutaway and a round reserve ride on RealTV, the guy saved his own ass and did a great PLF.

The commentator concluded by saying that the guy broke both arms and fractured his leg. On the video the guy's arms barely touched the ground and he was pulling on his risers just before the PLF, and his PLF was perfect, he absolutely did not break his arms they only touched the ground during a roll. Unless this guy is made of glass he didn't fracture his leg either.

One more shot at skydiving when the guy seemed to come out unscathed. Yea I know I'm crazy for getting annoyed with RealTV, it's like getting angry at a retard for drooling, but I'm pissed off.

Once I made a jump with a friend, and she gently landed right next to me. Then she fell over and grabbed her ankle. I thought she was joking, but it turns out she broke it.

It looked like a great landing. Go figure.

Anyway, maybe he really did get hurt.

If not, maybe the story was embellished by whomever sold it to RTV.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I think RTV is a particularly ethical show. [:/]

Anyone know the real story?
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

I suppose you had to see it. I watched it several times focusing on his arms, they did not impact, the way he rolled was almost perfect. Legs.... you can never tell, he did plf and needed to so it's possible he hurt his leg, it didn't show you any aftermath, but I'd bet he didn't.

The real flashpoint of course was the accompanying commentary. "Descending dangerously fast because he opened low". No, the guy was riding a perfectly good reserve and he landed it perfectly in nice grassy field right where the camera was expecting him.

real tv's commentary is a joke... i've seen a video of theirs where you can see the skydiver's altimeter in the backround, and its at 3000. meanwhile the announcer says "hes at 500 feet... 3 seconds till impact"

that being said, i've seen a guy do a soft landing, he stands it up, then suddenly falls over. he broke his ankle. bones are weird sometimes

MB 3528, RB 1182

I don't know why so many skydivers hate the show so much. Their narration isn't nearly as bad as some of the other similar shows, and they've done some positive pieces on skydiving too, like this one:

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=997

Yeah, they sensationalize everything, but I don't think they're any worse when it comes to skydiving as they are about anything else.

Dave

But they bring you wholesome TV w/ dumb criminals, sweet car chases and crazy shots to the balls.

We can just laugh at the wuffos, but the commentary is rediculus... even on non-skydiving related shorts.
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

I don't hate the show, but I get annoyed when they get it so obviously wrong. Even a whuffo could look at the screen and see there's something wrong with a spiel and for my money the show would be better with accurate information not invented B.S.

I caught this one last nite as well.

Lying f#$kers, I was having the same reaction.

Hell, his PLF was so damn perfect you'd of thought it was a training video.

I was amazed at how he managed to lay it over.

Also? The comment about him coming in to fast?

Idiots, he was open completely high enough, his descent rate was fairly normal.

Ignorant ass show. Try to sensationallize something that really wasn't that sensational to begin with.

Kudos to whomever it was, other than hesiating a little long before cutting away and deploying, they did a fine job.

REAL TV is just crap.

j
It's a gas, gas, gas...