FlyingJ

Cheap internet providers

Hey everyone,

So what are the cheapest internet service providers around these days? I've been spoiled with high speed cable and or dsl for the last 5 years or so but with my new job and apartment unfortunately high speed is not in the budget.

Before I got highspeed I had used Netzero (when it was actually free) for a few years. Of the bottom of the barrel providers, which ones have you had experience with?

Thanks,
jason.
Killing threads since 2004.

Dial up? Gotta be careful with selecting access phone numbers. I ones paid over $100 phone bill for using phone number that looked very local but, as I learned later, was specifically excluded from local calling area because it was used by Juno.

Hey, want a free 56K modem? ;) Let me know, I'll give you mine, because I am NOT going back to dialup ;)

hehe...thanks for the offer of the modem.

Yeah, I feel the same way about dial up, but for the next year or so I guess I'll be living my online world like it was 1995!

I'm about to spend a year volunteering and more than half of the living stipend is going to rent, so I made the choice that paying electric and eating at least a couple times a day will probably have to take precedence over high speed internet!

We'll see. I might think differently after a few months though!

Out of curiosity. Isn't it cheaper inthe long run to have cable? I've heard of hidden fees and pey per use on dial ups. I've never used a dialup before, my first was cable.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I don't think so, not if Netzero and other ISPs like that really are $9.95/month. In the area I'm moving to (as far as I've found so far anyway) minimum cost for high speed is $40/month and that's if you are already paying for cable, which I won't be.

The only paid for dial up I've ever used was Prodigy, which my parents got in the very late 80's, early 90's. The replaced that after I left home when AOL came out and still use it. Other than prodigy, I've always used either a college connection or Netzero when it was actually a free service and you just had to deal with an ad banner on your screen the whole time.

That's really the kind of thing I'm looking for now, something free based on advertising, but it looks like the few freebies that used to exist are gone.

dependingon where you are living you could always see if there are any open wifi conection out there that people havn't encrypted.... hecki can use two difrent connection that are in my block if i wanted to..... some people are oblivious toit... just don't go jackingup the bandwith usage and they would probly never know......