Evelyn

Would this work to stay warm?

Just have heard about how cold it can be so want to be prepared. Want to get in as many jumps as I can, not sitting out cuz I'm too cold to jump.

Evelyn, please don't be so worried. It probably will not be as cold as last year was, but if it is, then I suggest to definitely wear the neck warmer, full-face, gloves, warmest socks and layer up well! Last year, I had on between 2-4 very warm layers under my jumpsuit (including my cold weather rash guard), but after I wore the 4-layers+ suit...I realized that I really only usually needed two warmest layers + jumpsuit on most jumps.

Flying is what kept me warm. If you are doing what you are supposed to be doing, then you will be warm from all the fast moving and concentration. I honestly (swear) was colder when on the ground doing nothing if I was in between jumps, than when I was in freefall. The only hard parts are being cold under canopy and sometimes on the plane depending on where I am sitting (by the door).

Please don't let the fear of being cold stop you from jumping. It's honestly not so bad once you begin jumping regularly. If you stop or sit around too much in between jumps, then you will get lazy and feel cold. Remember, it's mental, baby! Keep a positive attitude & you'll be fine! :)

Don't put on too many layers or you won't have full range of motion. Hot hands work great in the gloves. I can't use latex gloves cause i'm allergic to them. Long underwear and warm socks are good. Make sure you smile and have fun, then you won't notice the cold so much. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

As the saying goes...."Cotton kills".

Make sure your base layer is wicking and not cotton. Cotton absorbs sweat and moisture which ends up making you even colder, a good base layer is something like the following from REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/47687028.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_WOMENS_CLOTHING_TOC
http://www.rei.com/product/47687026.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_WOMENS_CLOTHING_TOC

Little higher end but highly recommend for cold weather activities such as snowshoeing, hiking, skiing is smartwool.
http://www.rei.com/product/47811348.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_WOMENS_CLOTHING_TOC
Fly it like you stole it!

Forget jeans as they tend to restrict blood flow.

Far wiser to wear several loose, light layers of clothing.
Turtle necks with zippers are the best, as they allow you to slightly "over-dress" on the ground, but not zip up all your insulation until you start to cool off in the plane.
Neck warmers are worth their weight in gold. Just remember to catch neck warmers under your chin strap to prevent them from interfering with your vision.