PhillyKev

Winter Motorcycling...

Ok, so, rode 30 miles each way on both Xmas eve and day. And it was freakin' cold. Fortunately, I was warm (multiple layers on body and legs, balaclava under the neck gaitor and hat in my avatar). Only problem was fingers. They got really cold. I have good goretex/thinsulate riding gloves. Anyone have any other suggestions regarding gloves? I tried liners but my hands were colder with them, I guess because too tight. I don't want anything attached to my bike or wires or batteries. Just really good quality gloves that will keep my fingers warm.

I've had the same problem all winter... haven't been able to find anything that keeps my fingers warm. I've resorted to keeping a couple of those heat packs in the pockets of my jacket and stopping every 10 miles or so to warm my hands up when the pain from the cold gets to be too much.

haha...

I tried layering gloves a couple weeks ago when it was somewhere around 15 degrees out at night. Stopping every 10-15 minutes to warm my hands in my pockets with the heat packs seemed to work a lot better as I just ended up stopping and taking off the layers of gloves every 5 minutes to warm my hands with the engine heat anyway :P

This winter is making me seriously start to consider putting heated grips on my bike... which is something I never thought I'd do.

Holy Shit! I think I saw you driving past West Coast Choppers at their No Love Party.

That is a scary fukin outfit when paired with a chopper.

kinda the Hell on Wheels James Dean aint got nothin on me look..B|:D

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

Only problem was fingers. They got really cold. I have good goretex/thinsulate riding gloves. Anyone have any other suggestions regarding gloves?

Rubber gloves under your regular gloves. Works like a charm.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Only problem was fingers. They got really cold. I have good goretex/thinsulate riding gloves. Anyone have any other suggestions regarding gloves?

Rubber gloves under your regular gloves. Works like a charm.

Hmmm, yeah, guess that would cut off ALL wind. I'll try that. If it doesn't work, think I'm going to get hippo hands.

Back when I lived up north, I used to have a pair of heated gloves that didn't attach to the bike at all. There was a C battery in each glove that sat down near the gauntlet. They worked great and they looked and felt like regular gloves.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

I wear the surgical gloves under my regular gloves when I skydive in the cold, but it isn't all it is cracked up to be. They work well for jumping because the effect doesn't last long. I actually don't put them on until jump run. If you sweat in them then it traps the sweat inside. The cold sweat can be worse then the wind and cold.

Give it a try, but I have a feeling you will discover that for a long bike ride it won't do what you are hoping for.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Winter ridin', nothing like it. It took an hour and a half to make the thirty minute ride to work the other day and then as first call came and went I was still just sittin' there on the bike outside my office staring at the insides of my frozen Wiley-X's while everyone got a chuckle out if it. I do the warmth through a thousand gators thing too but wish I had the electrical tape on the fag helmet the other day. Anything would have helped. I looked like I was super interested in everything everyone was saying for about three hours after. I mostly hate them so I guess I should get a full face for the winter. Good luck man!