Para5-0

Big Boy Rig

We had a student come in who is in outstanding shape but huge. 6-5, 285 solid. He wants to buy his own rig so he can go through AFF and join the sport. I am looking for any ideas on big boy rigs for the North East area. Does anyone have a Rig that will acomodate this? If I understand it corrected it would be a Cat D harness, 280 plus main, similar reserve plus ammenities. I told him I would get back to him. We do not have a tandem rig available to modify but would go that route if someone has a Vector 2 .

With a body weight of 285, his exit weight will exceed 300 lbs. Without going to a military canopy I wonder if you will find a civilian/sport rig certified in excess of 300 lbs. I will watch this thread with interest.

Too bad that Airborne Systems' Raider/Intruder rig does not appear to be available on the civilian market. It has TSO C23d certification to 450 lbs Max suspended weight and can be built for hand deploy PC.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Some rigs manufactured under TSO C23B will also allow you hang more than 254 pounds.
Remember that 254 is the MINIMUM performance standard under TSO C23B and manufacturers ad the option of certifying to heavier weights or faster airspeeds.
Think Vector tandem or Racer tandem modified for solo jumping.
You should be able to pick up a Vector tandem for cheap these days.
It is mostly a matter of moving handles, as detailed in the Relative Workshop's bulletin on the subject.

A mate of mine is in the same boat. He's using a converted Atom tandem rig with the drogue replaced with a pilot chute. He's ordering a custom made rig for use after he gets his A license
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.