donjohn25

Canopy advice/question

I've never flown a stiletto but I know some people who do; it's considered a canopy for experienced pilots only. The stiletto also carries the nick name "spin-etto" for it's tendency to spin after deployment.

Talk to your instructors, they know you and your skills the best, and will probably be more than willing to give you gear advice.

Good Luck!

Have you talked to your instructor? What are you jumping now?

Is the 160 your weight or exit weight? If it's your weight then your exit weight is 185-190 which will give you over a ~1.2 WL on what was "initially seen as the highest performance canopy available to the expert pilot" (from the PD website).

Check the SIM (p. 109) for WL recommendations and http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf for canopy size recommendations. Talk to your instructor and others at your DZ as you progress through AFF about canopies and rigs. And, from one newb to another, please search here some more before you get blasted as this topic has been discussed quite a bit. There is a wealth of information here and much to learn from.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

No sir. For a first rig, you want to look for a wing loading of about 1 to 1, meaning one square foot of canopy for every pound suspended under it. Your body weight plus the weight of the gear puts you closer to 190lbs. out the door.

You'll need a canopy closer to 190 sq ft, and you'll also want to look for a different model than a Stiletto, it was not designed for beginners.

Of equal importance is the size of the reserve. Often times you'll be flying your reserve under less than ideal conditions. Typically you will be open lower then you had planned, under a great deal of stress, and landing in an area other than where you planned. For these reasons, the reserve should be as big, or bigger than the main.

Main canopies, containers and reserves can all be purchased seperately, and this is usually the better way to go. The chances of finding complete used rig that fits you and has the appropriate canopies are somewhat slim.

Be sure to have a rigger inspect any equipment before you buy, and consult with one of your instructors as far as what size and type of equipment would suit you and your abilities at the time of purchase.

Finally, understand that improper selection of equipment can quickly lead to injury or death. There is a wide variety of equipment available for a wide variety of applications. When shopping for a first rig, only a small portion of that would be applicable for your situation.

I'm 5'7" 160 lbs and I'm looking at an Infinity DOM-1997 with a 150 Stiletto DOM-1997 for a first rig. Good idea?

No. PD has never made a canopy more sensitive to control input (intended or not) than the Stiletto (John LeBlanc observed jumpers having roll axis stability problems on landing). Like other ellipticals it's inappropriate for people with fewer than 300 jumps.

A 190 is a good idea too.

For sure I am mad, but the skills will only come with time.

That's a good attitude. Please, hang on to it!

In addition to the comments above:
Once you've graduated from the large, very docile "beginners' canopies", the category of main canopy you'll be looking for is often referred to as the "intermediate canopies". A partial list of the more currently-popular intermediate canopies includes, for example (in no particular order): Pilot; Sabre2; Safire2; Spectre; Triathlon, Storm. Older canopies in this category might include, among others the "original" Sabre (as differentiated from the Sabre2, which is a newer/different design) and the Hornet. This is not necessarily an exhaustive list.

You may find it helpful to use the Forum's Search function (see task bar at top of page) and do searches for the phrases "intermediate canopy" and "intermediate canopies", and then read some of the threads generated. Also, educate yourself on the names of some of the more advanced canopies - the ones you should not get yet - just so you'll recognize the names when you see/hear them. You don't want to fall victim to an eager seller who tries to get you to buy a hot rod when you still need about 300 jumps learning how to skillfully drive a family station wagon.

Awesome advice! Thanks Andy. After talking with the guy who's rig I was looking at, he said, "I want to sell it, but it wouldn't be right." It seems like most people are concerned about each others safety and safety for the sport. Thanks again.
To err is human, to air is human.

I think you got a good advice here. It's too soon for you for a 150 and out of question with a Stiletto and this is for your safety. Good decision to wait 30 jumps to start thinking about buying your own equipment. At 30 jumps or so, you will know better what is good for you with the help of instructors.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

After talking with the guy who's rig I was looking at, he said, "I want to sell it, but it wouldn't be right." It seems like most people are concerned about each others safety and safety for the sport. Thanks again.

That's good to hear. I've seen otherwise in a few cases, but glad someone stepped up and did the right thing.

(Even though you seem to be taking a really balanced approach to this, the majority of students who ask questions like this already know the answer they want to hear. Which often leads to pain.)

Good luck!
Signatures are the new black.

I jump were Andy jumps & he's right.

I jump a Pilot 188. I've loaned it out to people with with less than 100 jumps & people that have more than 1000.

They all love it! Call them & ask for a demo, you will love it from opening to the flare.
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

More pain = less air time. That is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for in a rig.Wink

Right on!

Everyone had a joke at this guy with a 100% fluro pink, F1-11 loaded at ~0.8. Cranked out 400 jumps his first year, I reckon 390 of them standup.

Got to do heli jumps, balloon jumps, demos his first year. Now he's got the snazzy rig, camera and flying wingsuits. I guess he had the last laugh :P

Don't underestimate the power of staying safe B|