shunkka

computer geeks - BIOS password

it`s an old laptop... and the owner dont let me

Tell the owner to STFU and due what has to be done to kill the password. Due to the ease of resetting the bios, its pretty rare that there is a skeleton key of a password from the factory. If/when there is, they (the company) is obviously very tight lipped about it.

The other thing you can do is google it and see if you find some sort of workaround to flash the bios with, but then you're dealing with someone else's code not from the factory and that can have very bad effects.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Do a google on it as I used to have a list of factory BIOS overrides or methods to allow you to bypass the password. Some of them were repeated key strikes
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

it`s an old laptop... and the owner dont let me:(

Ouch!! Try convincing him that the only sure way to reset it is for you to "open the hood"

That might be impossible, since by experience I tell you that some people use 1 password for EVERYTHING, online banking, credit cards reports, you name it, and of course they are reluctant to give it up, trust me on that one.

Ouch!! Try convincing him that the only sure way to reset it is for you to "open the hood"

That might be impossible, since by experience I tell you that some people use 1 password for EVERYTHING, online banking, credit cards reports, you name it, and of course they are reluctant to give it up, trust me on that one.

Well, if he can open the case and reset the CMOS jumper... and besides, the guy is already screwed in that case because he's forgotten the password already...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Well, if he can open the case and reset the CMOS jumper... and besides, the guy is already screwed in that case because he's forgotten the password already...

You can't do that on most laptops. You either have to hope they use a master password that a tech can use to unlock it, or if you're unlucky and have IBM lappies, like at my work, you have to replace the motherboard.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

The same genius who set a BIOS password and forgot it? Yea listen to him.

What is he worried about? That he'll lose time of day settings or his disk configs?

There is often a reset switch on the motherboard so you don't have to disconnect the battery to do this. Usually it's a jumper you close somewhere. You will not be able to flash it without the password, disconnecting the battery will not erase the bios which is stored in eeprom so if that's his concern he needn't worry, it may reset the settings to default (like clock & other options) but it won't damage the BIOS. You may have to tweak them before the system will boot though. Worst case the BIOS is deliberately held on a removable chip that can be replaced (it won't come to that).

You can't do that on most laptops.

I've done just that on a number of laptops over the past 10 years.[:/]

Maybe things have changed, or maybe it's different on the consumer side, but on the business class IBM, HP, and Compaq laptops we have at work, simply yanking the battery won't do it, and they don't have CMOS clearing jumpers.

If a user can't remember their password, a tech has to be dispatched to either unlock it or swap the board.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™