feuergnom

Aerodyne Mamba - damage to risers

a guy on my dz owns a mamba 150 and puts a WL of about 1,5 to it. problem is: he now owns about the 4th set of risers within a year because they get severe heat & burn marks form the slider grommets.

one solution was to put a larger slider on the canopy - which helped a bit. another solution was to put kevlar reinforcements on the risers, which he took of because "it didn't look nice" :S

so: any of you riggers and jumpers have similar experiences with damaged risers on mambas?

note: no, i am not the jumper and not the rigger, i'm just curious if this is common or not.
thx for your time & effort

ps: i'll get hold of pics and post them later
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

My risers have done some 400+ jumps and I can already see melting fabric on my frontrisers. No broken threads og cuts, just melting damage. I've only had Samurai's on my rig(size 136 and 120), both with HMA lines similar to the lines a Mamaba has.

I'm wondering if HMA and stainless steel grommets creates more heat compered to Vectran/Spectra. Anyone got info on that?
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

well that would be the obvious and easy solution - but what do you do when the jumper in questions wants to pull the slider over the bumpers?
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

My risers have done some 400+ jumps and I can already see melting fabric on my frontrisers. No broken threads og cuts, just melting damage. I've only had Samurai's on my rig(size 136 and 120), both with HMA lines similar to the lines a Mamaba has.

I'm wondering if HMA and stainless steel grommets creates more heat compered to Vectran/Spectra. Anyone got info on that?

400 jumps is way more than maybe 40

and for your question on HMA and stainless steel: that is what we are wondering about. but you know how it is: to get usefull info from manufacturers is sometimes quite impossible.... :|

dudeist skydiver # 666

a guy on my dz owns a mamba 150 and puts a WL of about 1,5 to it. problem is: he now owns about the 4th set of risers within a year because they get severe heat & burn marks form the slider grommets.

one solution was to put a larger slider on the canopy - which helped a bit. another solution was to put kevlar reinforcements on the risers, which he took of because "it didn't look nice" :S

so: any of you riggers and jumpers have similar experiences with damaged risers on mambas?

note: no, i am not the jumper and not the rigger, i'm just curious if this is common or not.
thx for your time & effort

ps: i'll get hold of pics and post them later

Sounds a lot like this post I put up a few months ago:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3346001;search_string=vision;#3346001

My Aerodyne Vision 117 was fine with Spectra lines, then I got a new line set from Aerodyne & it was HMA, and then my risers started melting. Sounds like what you're dealing with. I ended up putting the Vision in a bag & it's gathering dust in my closet now.

well that would be the obvious and easy solution - but what do you do when the jumper in questions wants to pull the slider over the bumpers?

The black fabric bumpers that PD offers are good at stopping the slider and a light tug will get the slider past them. I do it every jump!
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

Interesting, I hadn't seen your previous thread when you first posted it.

I've had this type of "damage" to my risers for some time. I had diagnosed the problem as glue spreading out from where a rigger had installed excess line keepers. I had consulted with other riggers and the agreement was the previous rigger used a non-standard type of hot-glue. Now I think that it's more likely a melting of the risers from hot slider grommets.

Interesting. The "damage" to my risers also appear to be very superficial, as I've put a few hundred jumps on the system without any concern since I first noticed it. At this point, I've not seen anything to indicate a structural weakness in my own risers, however - I am concerned.

In my case, the canopy is a highly loaded Samurai manufactured by PD, with HMA lines and stainless grommets. The risers are Aerodyne.

I'm curious - to the other people having this problem, who manufactured the risers?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.