baa75

Skydiving Weddings?

Have you ever seen or been in one?

I need details! I'm marrying a couple this spring (licensed skydivers) and just had another couple ask me. (First time & doing tandems) B|

Ceremony on the ground before? In the plane? In the air? Any suggestions??

Its not really a "do again" thing so I don't want to be thinking, "Hmm...maybe this will work." [:/]

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!

My wife and I were married New Year's day at Deland. She did her third jump (a tandem) and I did my 50th with several friends, including the notary who performed our ceremony. We had planned on doing the ceremony first and the jump afterwards, but time didn't allow for that, so we did the jump and then the ceremony. Nothing big or fancy, just saying our vows and exchanging the rings.

Our ceremony was on the ground (we decided the plane was too noisy and it would be better to concentrate on the jump than the vows). Also, I believe that the law requires the final part of the ceremony ("I now pronounce you man & wife, etc..") to be done on the ground, as airspace is not counted as being in the state/country, but I'm not too sure on that one.

We also got video from 5 different angles, but have not made the final compilation yet. For a skydiving wedding, lots of video is a good idea, especially if one camera flyer is unable to get a good shot for whatever reason.

Hope that helps!

Mike

I was a bridesmaid in one. They did most of the ceremony in the plane, saving the "I do's" and the kiss for freefall. The groom wore a tux, the bride had a white w/lace jumpsuit and white w/lace frap hat made custom. The rest of us wore our usual jumpsuits.

Tami and Scotty Carbone (carbonezone on here) got married in freefall at WFFC in '03; Tami could probably give you some good info too.

I did a tandem wedding at the WFFC in '03, and Peanut and Lucky's wedding there last year (the '05 link Dave posted).

Gather as much information as you can from the bride and groom, and if possible, have them write their own vows, and possibly their own ceremony. We're a little off anyway, so what can it hurt?

That's about all I'm going to add though. I started doing weddings as a service to my skydiving friends, and the fact that the more I went to various churches, the more I saw them wanting money, money, money, and then some more money.

To me, the only thing that separates you from regular organized religion is the location. At least the churches disguise it as a tithing. I see the word fee on your website. (Note: This is why I never answered your PM from September 2nd.) The tandems in '03 paid my slot. Just before the WFFC in '04 I drove from home in WI to TN to marry a skydiver in a 100% ground ceremony. They paid for my room for the night. For Peanut and Lucky, I covered my slot, and then gave Lucky my Javelin.

What happened to doing something this sacred for satisfaction, love of our brotherhood, and friendship?

Do what you wish, but I will continue to offer my services at the WFFC and anywhere else I can make it to (within reason) free of charge. Why? I saw Tami and Scotty search franticly for a person to marry them (Tammi, how many times did you ask me?;)), and want to make sure that kind of stress is avoided on one of the most important days of a couple's lives.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Wow, I was stressed and tired when I wrote that.

Minor corrections;

Scotty and Tami got married in Rantoul and the WFFC in '02.
The tandems were in '03.
The ground wedding and Peanut and Lucky's wedding were '04.
'05....Kris and Vallerina! :P;)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Our wedding was awesome :) :)We some of the ceremony on the ground "up to the I-DO's.
The I-Do's and Kiss the Bride were done in freefall (pix attached) The base was Scotty, Me, Rev Apple, Joe my Dude of Honor and Roger the Best Man.
The rings and the remaining ceremony were done after we landed ""THANKS REV APPLE"".
I had a special lace suit made by EG Sky very flowing and blousy . I had a 6 foot train on each leg that I let fly after I opened.
Scotty wore nice DaKine Freefly Pants and a white blousy shirt with a bow tie.
I also made silk flower pins for the wedding party (60+ fliers). They were pinned to the mud flaps on the rigs. ""they were cute""
We both looked way dressed for the occasion BUT --- We (Scotty and I) were VERY FLOATY and many people on our 60-way went LOW :(
Keep fall rate in mind when thinking about wedding out-fits !!!!
I WAS AN AWESOME DAY!!!
Have Fun B|
<>
Tami

Thank you everyone!

Dave - The movies were great and gave me a few ideas, thanks!

Jim - If you do weddings for free, as I started out doing, that's great but I'm assuming you have other sources of income. (It sounds like you only marry skydivers anyway) This is my job/business first and a fun service I can do for skydivers second. I'm sure the guy who runs our loft does a few reserves as favors but even he charges for his services. As do the video guys, coaches and so on.

I don't have much info about my skydiving services on my site at all. It simply says that it is something that I offer. It also says to contact me for any services other than those listed. I'm at Cross Keys and pretty much any skydiver who knows me here knows that its free (they cover my slot) but for any other weddings, this is my business. Hence the skydivers are just paying for my jump but couples who contact me through my business will be paying for my services.

All I asked for was a few tips to help create a great ceremony for a couple of friends…I didn’t realize I would get the added bonus of having both myself and my business insulted.

Thank you for the tips but please try not to be so quick to judge.

Tami - Thanks for all of the info & Great Photo! I'll keep the attire tips in mind. If they decide to get something special made I know Bev made suits for some friends a while back and she's local so that's always an option. Mike & Carolyn I'll probably do something the way you guys did, (Start/jump/finish) if that works for the bride & groom of course! ;)

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!