kai2k1

I think I may have found a new job, BUT

Hmmm.... I am speaking as a person who has seen the Discovery Channel show about the Alaskan Crab Fishermen (work two months a year for fat cash, but with something like a 1% fatality rate every season) and thought "ya know, I think I like those odds..."

That being said, I'd still stay home if I were you. The cash sounds fanfuckintastic but, but doesn't skydiving add enough danger to your life?

Elvisio "relishing the fact that my head is still attached to my shoulders" Rodriguez

PS if ya gotta go, stick close to Clay!

Do you know if as a UK citizen I can apply for any of these jobs at Haliburton ?

As far as I know you shouldn't have any problems. The ONLY time your citizenship should really come into play is if you have a job that requires a security clearance. Then it gets a little more hairy. I mean.......I have lived in this country all my life but because I have a CRAZY ex-wife they put me through the ringer. Every time......[:/] Halliburton even asks what currency you would like to be paid in. ;)

Might want to check out the tax laws about oversea's income being tax free. There might be a time requirement outside the US to qualify for tax free status.

$80k Free room and boardB| But you can't spend it while your there. Want to send it home no problem but Haliburtan may hold back part of your pay as a bonus until you complete your contract.

Don't know if haliburton will make life insurance available but someone else might at a very high premium. If not your existing Life insurance is null and void.

does anyone keep track of how many Drivers Haliburtan has lost and would you trust your employer to provide you with everything 24/7 includeing keeping you out of harms way or medical aid.:o

Read the contract, think about it, would you go to prison for a year for $80k? tax free:)
R.I.P.

Might want to check out the tax laws about oversea's income being tax free.

If you work in Iraq and stay out of the country at least 330 days.........you get the first $110,000 tax free. Step back in the states or a territory or make more than that...........you'll be paying! :S

If you spend six months of the tax year in a given country you qualify as a resident there for tax purposes. So you wouldn't pay income tax in the USA.

As for the job, you'd be mental to take it. The situation in Iraq is, in the near term, only going to get worse, especially for Americans. The election is probably going to cause instability and it's not particularly likely that any elected government is going to give a shit whether US civilians get killed or not. They'll be busy trying to avoid being assasinated themselves.

80k isn't a lot if you end up seriously injured and unable to work for a long time.

And shouldn't losing your wife be more than reason enough to drop the idea :S>:(.

80k isn't a lot if you end up seriously injured and unable to work for a long time.

Not that I am advocating this.....BUT.........he is probably covered by the "Defense Base Act" and one other obscure act. Something about Longshoremen. Anyway.......if he gets hurt they actually pay rahter well. Up to 66% of his base salary.

Oli says - DO IT

I mean you will be tooled up the max, so if you get any shit from those pesky iraq'eeee terrorists just pop a cap in their ass...
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

so if you get any shit from those pesky iraq'eeee terrorists just pop a cap in their ass...

That's my plan. ;)

Oli says - DO IT

I'm not sure if your dumb ass noticed..........but Iraq isn't really producing a lot of oil these days. Comparatively of course. :D

Oil???? what are you talking about - check my profile then reREAD....and get back to me.... ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Clay:
Where do you figure the 110k from? Foreign Earned Income Credit is only 80k exempted.

Bob.dino:
Theres two ways to exclude salary earned overseas. One is by being a bona fide resident (register with the foreign country and pay their taxes instead of US taxes) and the other is physical presence (330 days out of US before you're eligible.

Please explain where you're coming up with 6 months from - I'd certainly like to be able to come home on vacation more often than 4 weeks a year!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

80k is not enough.
You should be able to get at least 100k. I would think. I had forgotten your occupation. However for an example lets just say a truck driver. I know several truck drivers who can easily hussell an pick up 3 grand in a hard three day weekend.
I do believe 80k is on the low side. I know a few cops who went over there and made real good money. Also look at going to other places as well, that might not be so hostile for an american. Have no doubt, they want to kill you.. There is alot of need for people all over the world who are ready to work and make a good salery.
Be carefull. Good luck..Stardog

Where do you figure the 110k from? Foreign Earned Income Credit is only 80k exempted.

I'm not 100% positive but it seems like I read somewhere that they upped the exemption for contractors in Iraq to $110,000. I could be wrong though.......I've read so much shit in the last couple days it's rediculous. :S

my friend just got back from iraq. he tried to sell me on a high-paying (100k+) job over there doing computer stuff, but his anecdotes of being shelled by mortar fire and the gunfire at night made me decide NO to that job offer. he was stationed at a secure military base, so remove that protection and it just gets worse.