peterjd

What are some good open face helmets to look at?

heya
just got my license and have 30 jumps udner my belt.
looking for a comfy skydiving openface helmet with space for audible.

Ive been suggested the Guner by bonehead but was wondering what other helmets i should look at.

thanks!

mate to be honest a protec with the padding on the inside offers reasonable protection. Just about any other skydiving helmet you see people wearing are just a fashion statement. I brought a cookie rok and helmets like that are really only for carrying a camera and dont really offer any protection from a decent impact. I am in the process of buying a bell mountain bike helmet. they have foam padding that must be about 3/4 of an inch thick and are actually designed to protect the head from a decent impact.
I figure that if i am going to wear a helmet i might as well get one that actually protects my head. I dont mean to put cookie products down but there helmets come with a big sticker on them when you buy them saying that they are not a crash helmet. cheers .

I have jumped both open face and full face. If I am jumping freefall I intend to stick with full face,,, they are SO much more comfortable and peaceful inside. I will use open face for hop & pops.

The comments in the posting above about impact resistance are quite relevant.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Buy a protec, put matching colored duct tape over the ears and tie your audible on a leash. Everyone will think your an old timer!;) And you'll save a whole lot of money and have more protection.

Or go really old school with a Bell motorcycle helmet.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

open face with place for an audible would be the benny.

http://www.skysystemsusa.com/helmets/benny.php

has little holes pre cut in the foam for your audible.

I just got one and I noticed that they run kinda small... I bought an XL and it fits really tight. Especially if I wear a bandanna under it, to keep the fly-aways at bay in the aircraft. Maybe I just have a big head (everything else about me is "big" in relation to skydiving). The price was right though, and I like it better then the protec helmets... It's gotten a few questions from people around the DZ including from some of my instructors. Also; I find the goggle channels are useless.

+1 on the Benny being tight.

They do run kind of small. I have a small head but had to exchange a medium for a large which was still a little more than snug. The goggle channel is a neat feature but only if you use flexvision or sky eyes goggles (bungee with knot and adjustment in the front). Getting your goggle strap through the channel will require some sewing and they'll be there for good or until you rip the stitching out.

Overall, it's a good helmet though. Chin strap is secure and the padding inside will loosen up some after wearing it a few times. I feel comfortable that it'll take more than a little bump on the head.

Another jumper at my DZ couldn't fit an audible inside without it squishing his ear so he punched holes in it and mounted it to the outside without problems.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!