jumpwally

Jump Shacks New Curved pin

I was watching some of the shows DSE and co. put together from Reno and saw John Sherman doing a blip on what looked like a rather neat concept. I had to leave and did not finish it. Did a search here and found nothing.....any one see it have any comments pros...cons..? or was it all a joke,,cant memeber...:P
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

We were using pins with the same geometry in the 80's.:S Made out of welded steel wire. They were very stiff. Not familiar enough with steel to quote what it was. Many of us recognized the issues with the centered eye on the stainless curved pins. That's why your told to not to seat (bury) it through the loop up to the eye.

Always liked the pins with the eye inside the arc of the pin. They lost favor because the nice shiny stainless pins came out.

Now new here beside he spent the money for a forged pin.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

How about a picture or a link to the Jump Shack website?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Lets assume you can pull a power tool at least as hard as a pilot chute pulls. 120lb. or so.

If you bury the pin to the eye, the bridle pulling on the out side of the eye will be trying to lift the eye agains the lever arm of the pin on the other side. It may not have a chance to rotate the eye and rotate the pin out of the loop.

I'd be really worried if you could only pull 4 mm. 8 and 10 still not good but a little less worry. Again this is why you shouldn't bury you centered eyed curved pin to the eye.

The pins with the eye within the circumference of the arc can rotate easily even when buried.

These pins were in part an answer to various locking methods for throw outs. Bungee closing loops with bights of bridle, straight pins like on pull outs, flexible pins. The inside eye wire pin predated the fancy stainless stamped pins. There were some centered eye curved pins that were made of of thicker wire and didn't have a smooth bend. And some that were stamped but plated. The plating would start to fail and leave a sharp edge of the plating that could either snag the loop or at least wear on the loop.

All of these eventually go replaced with the current pins.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE