pop

Computer Help!!

Can you guys help? I have 2 computers running into the same switch. One is getting on the internet just fine.The other one says it cant find the DHCP server. Why not. It is set up the exactly same way as the otehr laptop
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

how do you share files?

i use the wirless router i have sittingon my desk... it works fine.... i have no idea how to fix your problem.. hence, get a hammer, bash the swtch into little pieces and buy a new one...lol.. soryi couldn't be moore help....

this is a case of not enough information about the problem/setup...
Have you switched wires, do you have a router, if so what rand model is it, has the setup ever worked correctly, if you remove the switch from the equation can the computer connect, if you remove the working computer from the equation, does it work, have you restarted, are your tcp/ip setting set for dhcp and not static...

A switch is just a hub that doesn't necessarily route a packet to the router if the target device is one the same side of the switch as the source of the packet... A router is what manage/maintains multiple computers within a local area network. (Basic explanation)

Are they both windows or mac. Is the connection to the internet plugged into the back one of the computers and then that computer has a second cable to the switch? or is it plugged into a device (cable modem/adsl router) and then this is plugged directly into the switch.

If I had it plugged into the back of a computer (with two network cards, or modem) and it was windows. I would go to control panel, then network. You should see the modem/network card with the ineternet, and then the second network card. On the second network card I would right click and go properties then in tcp/ip set an ip address like 192.168.2.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, then the gateway/dns etc.. same as above. Then click on the "sharing" tab and "enable sharing". Then go to the computer that does not have the net yet and set the IP address settings use 192.168.2.2 for the ip and 192.168.2.1 for the gateway/dns etc.. You may need to reboot. Hopefully this should work.

If it is going through a cablemodem/adsl router directly plugged into the switch then you either have to find out its IP address settings or log into this device and turn DHCP on (if available).

If you have any doubt go to a computer savy friend because you can stuff your internet connection if you do not know what you are doing.

Also I know the above is not the optimum way of doing things and there is alot more that goes with it but its intended as a quick answer and not a perfect one. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or if you want to do it step by step (which is safer).

Alternatively you could post more information about your setup in this thread and probably get the same answers.

From the working system go into the switch web configuration and make sure it is set to assign enough DHCP addresses in a sufficient range. Often there are controls in there to limit this and if it only has one IP address to assign then it'll run out of them pretty quick.:)
Check the cable integrity and try switching cables & ports & disconnecting one system & resetting the switch to see if you can troubleshoot the cause.