half-a-greek

PISA Conquest?????

I only know of one conquest canopy, it went around at my DZ for a few years from new jumper to new jumper, until it was burned (on purpose) for frightening the hell out of one of them. He tried to use his front risers (for his A- or B-license drills), something this canopy can NOT handle. Rarely did I see a jumper come down so white-faced. I would not buy a conquest nor recommend it to anyone, I'm sure you can find a (much) better canopy.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Does anyone know anything about the PISA Conquest? I tried looking it up in the gear section but it wasn't listed, and the other three canopies that were, were listed as discontinued... From the ad it is listed as a ZP 9-cell, and that's it.

Do a search on here for the Conquest also labeled as the SR-71.

Here is the contents of an email I got from Ned Luker.

The SR-71 is a "Private-Label" canopy for Western Parachute Sales based on our
"CONQUEST" Airfoil plan form.

The CONQUEST is an older design now , but is essentially a 9 cell zero porosity
straight forward square (Rectangle) incorporating microline.

We sold quite a few CONQUESTS and SR-71's too over the years , but of course
ellipticals and semi-ellipticals came into the market and superseded these
traditional classic designs.

A SR-71 is a pretty large canopy with a maximum all up weight of 250 lbs. The
spec's are 600 cu. in pack volume ; Span 24 Ft ; Chord 9.6 ; Aspect ratio is 2.5
(fairly longish for good glide and flare).

You can really pack it anyway that makes you comfortable. Flat pack ; stack
pack and Pro Pack as well. The guiding principles are ensuring the brakes are
stowed , the lines have no twists , tangles and turns , and the slider is up at the
canopy end when it comes time to place the canopy into the deployment bag and
not down at the links.

As always , I'm sure Ralph gave you a fair deal so you received real value for money
for your SR-71. When it comes time for a new Line Set (about 600 jumps or so)
you can call Ralph or contact me for a replacement.

Blue Skies
NED LUKER
DIRECTOR
Parachute Industries of Southern Africa (Pty) Ltd

I used to jump a SR-71 (AKA Conquest.) I loved that canopy and in retrospect I wish I would have kept it. Very cool canopy but it did have some quirks.

My SR-71 was a small one, about 120ish and it flew like a sabre1.
These canopies had baffles on the leading edge so they would open softy. This was an attempt to prevent those slammers that the early sabres were known for. I wish I had a picture but in effect it was a leading edge air-lock. Once the canopy was open it would "breathe" just fine in full flight but if you pulled down the fronts it would lose air and collapse.

If you pulled down both front risers the canopy would lose air and collapse because you would effectively starve the air out of the canopy.

But if you only used rears and toggles it flew great and was a really fun canopy. It had a super flare but certainly not a novice canopy.

I doubt the people talking smack about it ever jumped one.
Onward and Upward!

I had a PISA 170 9 cell for a while (100 jumps), as a canopy in a backup rig. I found out, the hard way, about it collapsing with front riser input. Had some slammer openings but this was circumvented by different packing methods.
It flew fine with toggles and had a good glide and a reasonable flare.
I sold it last year and warned the buyer of its quirks and he loves it.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

I have jumped a couple of conqest. Stanford was a dealer for them. Early high performance cccanopy. Rectangular. Nice landings. Heavy ZP fabric, high packvolume, may not age well. Some of them came in a checker board pattern. Some of them opened supper hard and some opened super soft. Big lip on the nose. Vertical baffles on the nose as well. Not an airlock or any thing like it. The inlets were very low on the nose. If you pulled on the front's you would get a classic nose tuck colapes. When the angle of attack changed the nose colapes on the top of the leading edge and roll right under. Depending on the wing loading this could be any thing from interesting to frightening. I never had one or saw one collaps in full flight but I'd be cautous with it in turbulance. Keep positive loading even a little breaks. Remanisant of a saber 1. Don't over load it. Not my first choice but if some one handed me a spare rig I wouldn't think twice about jumping it. I would have to be auffly cheep to tempt me to buy it.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com