spidrmnky

Comparable to a Sabre 2 150?

I got out of skydiving for about a year and sold my old sabre 150 and need to get back in! I was looking to buy a newer sabre 2 150, but is there something better out there or comparable to it? I'm not looking for anything crazy, just a clean open and nice landing.

The Sabre and Sabre 2 are very different animals. The Sabre 2 is a step up in performance from your original Sabre - don't be misled by the same name!

You don't mention how many jumps you had before you quit? Don't be surprised to have to make a few jumps on something a little larger and more docile before you're allowed on that 150. :)
You might be well served dong a few jumps on some demo gear once you're back in the sport to find a canopy you like and that is appropriate for your current skill level.

I was looking to buy a newer sabre 2 150, but is there something better out there or comparable to it?

The Sabre 2, Safire 2, and Pilot are all fine canopies in the same 'class'. PD also just released the new Pulse, which is also getting some good reviews...

I've jumped them all, know people that own them all, and honestly don't think you could go wrong with any of those canopies. They're all available to demo if you're so inclined. :P

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Thanks for all the info guys! and in response to my skill level before taking a break last year... I had about 250 jumps and I think around 30 BASE. I've jumped a Sabre 2 150 before and it was great (I'm only about 160lbs so I'm petty comfortable at this size). I guess a bigger concern is performance of canopies like the Stilleto 150 which kicked my ass with a hard opening and faster speed back in the day.

I guess a bigger concern is performance of canopies like the Stilleto 150 which kicked my ass with a hard opening and faster speed back in the day.

here is a brutal Stiletto 150 opening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWj7p8YKnlA

Any canopy can slam you when you make packing errors or let the lines shrink too much.

In 600 jumps I never had a hard opening with my Stiletto.

While you might avoid Stilettos for the shorter positive recovery arc, sensitivity to body position at opening, and toggle sensitivity which leads to roll axis stability problems when they're not landed well opening speed is not a reason to avoid them.

Any reason to not go with a Pilot 150

I will not tell you to buy or not buy a Pilot; however, I will tell you that if you live in the US you should take advantage of the manufacture's demo programs. Jump a Pilot, jump a Sabre2, try a Storm (its a 7-cell, its been talked about on here) and demo jump everything else that is appropriate for you. You'll find the canopy that you like. Its better then blindly buying on some random internet advice.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."