Viking

Is windows XP really that huge of a memory hog?

The damn thing takes up half of my ram (Only have 512mb)

Any of you guys known something i can do to get some of my ram back? i can't add any more b/c my mobo won't support it.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

It is a huge memory hog. 512m should be enough. I run it here at the office on 256m.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Any of you guys known something i can do to get some of my ram back? i can't add any more b/c my mobo won't support it.

In all honesty, the only thing that can fix that problem without new hardware is new software....linux.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

i was wondering how long it would take for someone to say "switch to linux!!!

We have an army of zealots that do nothing but read through forums looking for an opportunity to write that.

Long live the penguin!

In all honesty, the only thing that can fix that problem without new hardware is new software....linux.

Well, Linux running only a basic shell with no X will 'fix the problem'. Add X and a few nifty apps and you're right back where you started. By the way, Linux isn't the only free Unix distribution - I myself prefer FreeBSD, though Solaris 10 is kinda nifty as well.

If you're after cleaning up Windows a bit try disabling unnecessary services and a lot of the unnecessary fluff that serves to make Windows pretty. A few minutes on Google and you can find plenty of information on how to minimize the Windows footprint. On the other hand, RAM isn't that expensive these days.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

ya well to bad i use my rig to play games and stuff.

i need windows to run all the games and i'm not gonna wait for the lunux version of things to come out.

On the other hand, RAM isn't that expensive these days.

-
Jim

i can't put anymore RAM in my computer my mobo only supports 512mb

I wouldn't sweat it. I've run XP on 256 meg boxes before.

Remember that Windows (and most other OS's) also use swap space on disk to hold information that isn't currently being used.

Frankly, you want as much as possible in your main memory - it's much faster than being on disk.

Now, if you are getting memory low errors then it's time to reconsider.

Yes my system is ancient. Its an old pIII 1gig system. About 2-3 years old. I'm planning on upgrading to an Athlon 3500+ system Sometime this year.

I wish my machine was that much of a resource hog...

This is pretty average for my work computer: Not running any special programs, just outlook and winamp.

I dont know what it is, but every machine I've ever had installed on corpnet at work has always had just rediculousnesss amounts of PF Usage at all times.

The answer is RTFM. (Rebuild The Fucking Machine) :D:D

In all seriousness, have you run spyware removal tools? another possibility is a rogue app that has a memory leak. If I were you, I'd backup all your data, wipe it, re-install the OS plus service packs, then Baseline it!! (plenty of info on the web re this). Then install your applications one at a time & see how the system performs.

Russ

Oh come on. I'm running it just fine on a 128MB PIII laptop (IBM Stinkpad A20P).

And to be fair, it's caching in RAM for effieiency's sake. Linux does the same thing.

mh

Here is a shot of my Task.. Viking you may want to streamline your system some.

That was after a fresh reboot.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."