skysquiffy

Why don't Americans say they're American?

I've found that American's, when asked their nationality, will answer with some ancestry breakdown "I'm, 10% Italian, 30% Polish, 3% Icelandic, 7% Cherokee, 40% Welsh and 10% German". When I first came here, I thought how on earth are these people born in more than one country?

Please explain, I still find this baffling. I've got a lot of stuff in family tree too, but I was born in England, so I'm English.

Because most of us are desendants from immigrants from one country or another. For the most part the only true american would be a pure blooded american indian (but i doubt there are many of them left)

But when asked my nationality i am an American. and my ethinticity is Mutt;)

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Because we are all immigrants or decendants of immigrants here, except for native americans, so we interpret that question to mean what is your ancestry.

Flying Hellfish #31
"I'm not allowed to talk about it till after the trial"
www.SkydiveTecumseh.com

b/c we don't have to, they know b/c we are all assholes................just like the french:P
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Because I'm a god damned Texan and proud!

I bet most of yall don't even know what Sunday March 6th is without having to google it, which is too bad since it wasn't just a pivotal point in Texas history, it effected US history as well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The search for identity. It makes little sense. Unless your parents were from a particular country and practiced the culture and cuisine of that country - a person doesn't have any actual relationship to that country.

It certainly happens in other circumstances also.
We have kids with college degrees who talk like they are "ganstas". There is adults who have never seen a horse, but buy a cowboy hat and a truck that has no use.

In most countries, you find sports fans who never played a particular sport, but identify with a team because they purchased all the clothing with the logo. The member of the team may not even be from the geographic area. Think soccer riots.

I blame advertising. "Buy this product and you will be..."

As I said, I've got a bunch of stuff in my ancestry too. Most people do, regardless of the country they were born in. I still don't understand why American's don't just say, "I'm American".

"I'm AMERICAN" HA! North American? South American? Central American? Were not going to say we are U.S.ians

Because I'm a god damned Texan and proud!

I bet most of yall don't even know what Sunday March 6th is without having to google it, which is too bad since it wasn't just a pivotal point in Texas history, it effected US history as well.

Hell, I am not even from Texas, thank God, and I know that it is the birthday of Bob Wills. Father of Western Swing.:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I still don't understand why American's don't just say, "I'm American".

I for one don't say "I'm American" because
I travel out of the country quite a bit...
and If you answer a querry as to where you're
from with "America"...9 times out of 10
some smart ass will say ...South, Central, or
North America...?!

Me....I'm a United Statesian !

(Just like bobsled) :)
;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

But isn't American a culture? It's not like Americans don't have their own identity.

From the inside, I don't see what that is.

American culture suffers from the same disease as American politics. One-issue definitions. Political action committees look at one item to accept or reject a candidate, regardless of an overall value.

Americans tend to look at culture in the same way. Americans are hugely divided in their beliefs. There is no overall religious following. You can't say 70% are Catholic/Protestant/Muslim. So you get no central core of values.

Why claim another one (or several) that they probably have little-to-no direct knowledge of?

Because Americans only know about 4% of any culture. They tend to look at a few positive aspects and say, "that's me", even though it is not remotely accurate. "Native Americans were tough and independent", so somehow that person is, even though they can't change a tire and hate the outdoors.

Ironically, they don't ascribe the negative aspects of the culture to themselves.

Americans have a tendency to find an image/icon and use it to describe themselves.

Americans were tough and independent", so somehow that person is, even though they can't change a tire and hate the outdoors.

Oh long live the racsan native american tribes, wiped out by 1882 but damnit could they change a tire really well on a car.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

American culture suffers from the same disease as American politics. One-issue definitions.

Americans tend to look at culture in the same way. Americans are hugely divided in their beliefs.

Those two statements counterdict each other..?!

Americans tend to look at culture in the same way.

Perhaps the grammar would be better stated as,
"Americans tend to look at culture in the same way as their politics.". (If that makes it clearer.)

Politics - Environmentalism, guns, abortion. We endorse/oppose candidates based on one driving idea.

In culture, Americans seem to pick an identity by one or two features. It is generally a thin tv advertising company version.

Politics - Environmentalism, guns, abortion. We endorse/oppose candidates based on one driving idea.

In culture, Americans seem to pick an identity by one or two features. It is generally a thin tv advertising company version

Do you really think it's all that different
in other places?

Do you really think it's all that different
in other places?

There are factors which contribute to a central cultural identity (shared values).

1. Stability of govt type over a long period.
2. Homogenous gene pool.
3. Single religion.
4. Centralization of control of money by a few over long periods.

There are factors which contribute to a central cultural identity (shared values).

2. Homogenous gene pool.
3. Single religion.
4. Centralization of control of money by a few over long periods.

Communist approach huh?

Now THERE'S an idea ahead of it's time!

(Oh wait....that's right...didn't work)

England, Switzerland.

2. Homogenous gene pool.
Japan, Iceland.

3. Single religion.
Israel and some countries of the Middle East.

4. Wealth.
When a segment of the economy grows rapidly, those people wish to spend their wealth as they wish and re-examine the rules.

The best examples of stable cultural identity are unfortunately the poor and isolated countries.

Wealth means trade with other countries and a comparison to their culture.

If you live on a poor island nation in the Pacific with a small population, there is a better chance that people will agree on their core values.