dovaka

new guy looking for advice

ive been wanting to get into the sport for a long time and i finally made the appointment to take all the aff training but ive been reading a lot about gear and what i do and dont need so im looking for a bit of advice about what stuff i need and the stuff that i really dont
money isnt really a issue i want what works best but obviously i dont want to spend 50 grand either im about 6'1" and 200# but im dropping about 10 pounds in the near future
any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Primary advice.....

DO NOTHING ABOUT GEAR NOW

You will have lots of time to learn about gear from your instructors and riggers. Ask them lots of questions. Come on back after a while and re-start this discussion.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

im really just trying to learn more than anything and i dont intend on buying anything until after i finish the aff I would like to pick up a few of the basic things like goggles and such but im definitely going to wait before making a serious investment in the rest of it

A new set of gear will cost you around $5500 and you must order it NOW!

Just kidding. Get through AFF; the school will be giving you gear for that. Then rent the rigs from the school you like (if any!) Then rent gear if possible or borrow if that's not possible. Your first rig will probably be a used one since you probably won't have it for too long; expect to spend around $2000-$2500 for a rig.

Before that, though, you'll probably be getting a jumpsuit, helmet, altimeter etc. Going through AFF will give you a good idea what you need there.

Wait for gear.

After a couple of jumps, some things you could look to buy is your own goggles, altimeter and maybe a helmet. Feel free to buy all the skydiving t-shirts you see and a couple cases of beer for the DZ.

As you get closer to getting your license, then you'll have a better idea of what you need for a jumpsuit, which is a logical next purchase. This is followed by a rig. Your instructors will help you along the way to find what you need.

Quality coaching is arguably a better purchase then all new shiney gear when you first get your license. Buy a good jumpsuit, helmet and altimeter. Buy a decent used rig (you'll end up buying new and something probably very different around 100-200 jumps). You don't want to be *that guy* who has $10k in the latest gear, but no one will jump with because you suck.;)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

my advice is to learn how to use periods.
they look like this " . "

Good thing you contributed! If you didnt i dont think he would know what to do about the question at hand:| Smart ass!

Edit to add BTW if are going to act like an english teacher then at least learn to do shit correct yourself:S (try using capital letters) >:(
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!