jumper03

The sound of a helicopter

Our senses are amazing gifts. They provide us with information about the world around us and at the same time evoke emotions that either elate us or bring us down. The sight of a flower blooming - the sound of a child laughing - the smell of bread baking all make us smile and feel good.

As a marine, the sound of a helicopter was a good sound. The loud double thump of a sea knight meant we were getting a ride back to mainside and would be done early that week. The low-toned staccato of Cobra gunships meant that friends with firepower were close at hand should an enemy appear. And if you were injured, the distinctive thump-thump-thump of a huey meant help wasn't that far away.

However, over the past year, I have come to dread the sound of helicopter. The sound of this yellow bird (type unknown) is like that of a food processor. It grates on the nerves. Like a harbinger of doom, this sound does not bring happiness - it means one of my sky-siblings is hurt and in grave trouble. I've heard it while in the packing room, watching TV, sitting in my yard, and walking to the loading area. Friends have heard it in the shower and tell me they feel the same way. What I would give to never have to hear the sound of that yellow food-processor ever again....

Please brothers and sisters - I'm begging you - let training and common sense guide your skydiving. I'm convinced that ignorance and arrogance are what feed the yellow helicopter. I care about all of you and the sound of that damn machine -even though its purpose is noble - is starting to get to me.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

Like a harbinger of doom, this sound does not bring happiness - it means one of my sky-siblings is hurt and in grave trouble

While I have to agree with you on the advice of caution in our sport and for everyone to use some sense to avoid injury, I see the analogy in a different light. I am reminded of a Family Circus cartoon in the paper where the little boy hears an abulance and says "Oh no someone is in trouble" and the little girl cheers and says "Yay, help is on the way". To some it is a sound of distress, but to others it is the sound of street angels on the way.

Just my 2 cents

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

The life-flight chopper that operates to here ffrom ~40 miles away visits all too often. Luckily I live almost an hour from a DZ, so hearing it is only half as bad.

This one though, the turbines in it are actually much louder than the blades themselves. I hear a turbine coming and grin, then hear the rotors....and the gri quickly fades.

Solution? Rod needs to come back to the WFFC so that I learn to like the sound of turbine powered rotors again. :)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1