fireflytx

Making DVD's WHEN ARE WE GOING TO BE ABLE TO FIT MORE THAN 1 hour 30 min on it HELP!

I don't care what the DVD says you cannot put 2 hours on it. Even with crappy quality. When are we going to fit longer movies on a burned DVD on a computer.

Or does anyone out there know of a way to do this????

Please help!
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

ok I am going to now buy a dual layer burner. Can I get the DVD"s at targat or do I have to order them special?

What kind of basic program can I use to make menu's for this type of burner?

Also Sonic My DVD allows me to capture in MPeg
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

I don't know exactly how to work around this so it works with whatever they are trying to create, but I've been using DVD Shrink to compress larger dvd files and movies on to a standard 4.7 gig disk. Just last night I watched Cold Mountain, a 2 1/2 hour movie, that I burned on to a standard DVD. It look great as far as quality too.

I'm sure there must be a way to create the DVD files in the authoring program and then use DVD Shrink to compress it to a standard DVD. DVD Shrink is a freeware program, and dual layer dvd's are still cost prohibitive. You can get standard +/_R's at WalMart for less than $.50 each now, and waaaay less than that on line.

fireflytx and brains, download that program here and play with it. Can't beat the price... ;)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Incoming post from Kris... wait a few minutes before leaving. ;)

Heh...Good one, Erk.

I use a Pioneer dual-layer burner. Dual Layer burners are cheap these days. You can find them for $100 and less at Wal-Mart and CompUSA. And for about $60 on www.newegg.com.

As for the software, I use Nero and have been very happy with it. I have a DVD that contains Crosswind, Back To The Earth, Flyboyz Party Mix, and Freefly Millennium II, all on one disc.

Look for one with bundled software and you should be good to go. :)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I don't know exactly how to work around this so it works with whatever they are trying to create, but I've been using DVD Shrink to compress larger dvd files and movies on to a standard 4.7 gig disk.

That's a very good program as well, Rev. B|

I don't know exactly how to work around this so it works with whatever they are trying to create, but I've been using DVD Shrink to compress larger dvd files and movies on to a standard 4.7 gig disk.

That's a very good program as well, Rev. B|

A fast burner combined with cheap 4.7 gig media and blockbuster.com means my collection is groooowing. ;)
It's your life, live it!

IIRC, if you use your DVD authoring program to make a DVD image (usually a .iso file) Shring will be able to open it.

That's about as far as I know right now.

Kris?
It's your life, live it!

Will a new burner work with Sonic My DVD? Or what program can I use to make simple menus with a dual layer burner?

It *should*, but may require an update if it does not have the drivers to natively support burning to a dual-layer device. Best bet os to hit the company's website and check out the specs for your version.

What you're looking for is called a Supported Device List.

However, if your software came bundled with the DVD drive you have now, it may be locked to that brand and may not work with a different drive. Ahead.de is notorious for locking their bundled copies of Nero that way.

Ok I ordered a burner. It is a memorex and it comes with Nero Memorex software suite. Do you think that has a menu maker?

Of do you know of a simple DVD menu maker software I can just download. Key word is simple

Yes, it should have everything you need as Nero has authoring built in. :)

Kris, for the love of god, please stop. She will be online buying more gadgets and won't have any money to spend on me.:P:D:D

BTW, hope you are doing well.:D

ROFL...well, you never know, Jeff. She could be using it to put together an extended Fire-Dance mix disc for you to view while she's away.;) So I felt it was only my duty to help a brutha' out.B|

I'm doing well, thanks. And, yes, I know, I need to get myself back to San Marcos soon for some nignoggery. BTW, are you guys still running a King Air, or did you ever get an otter?

We had a slight problem with the king air.:D Got the old Raeford Express otter now.B|

Sweet....I love that plane and have jumped it before. I'll definitely be making a visit soon.B|

I don't know exactly how to work around this so it works with whatever they are trying to create, but I've been using DVD Shrink to compress larger dvd files and movies on to a standard 4.7 gig disk. Just last night I watched Cold Mountain, a 2 1/2 hour movie, that I burned on to a standard DVD. It look great as far as quality too.

I'm sure there must be a way to create the DVD files in the authoring program and then use DVD Shrink to compress it to a standard DVD. DVD Shrink is a freeware program, and dual layer dvd's are still cost prohibitive. You can get standard +/_R's at WalMart for less than $.50 each now, and waaaay less than that on line.

fireflytx and brains, download that program here and play with it. Can't beat the price... ;)

DVD Shrink is excellent. I've fit 3 hour movies on a standard DVD with no obvious quality issues.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

DVD Shrink is excellent. I've fit 3 hour movies on a standard DVD with no obvious quality issues.

Exactly, Professor. This is an excellent program. In fact, I'd even consider paying for it.

Ahhhh,

On second thought, naaah. ;)

Come to think about it, I messed up once in Premiere and created a project that was too big for a DVD. (I ALWAYS create .iso images, though now in Pinnacle Studio 9.) I opened the file in Shrink, and had no problems getting it to 4.7 gig size. It took easly 1/4th of the time it would have taken Premiere to render/fix the problem. It's a nice tool to have.
It's your life, live it!

"Or does anyone out there know of a way to do this????"

Really good 'how to' guides here.....

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm
more here...
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

Cutting up DVD recordings? go here..
http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?howtoselect=5;18

Oh, and if you are backing up old vhs cassettes, for example to a DVD recorder, you'll probably want one of these......
http://www.multi-region.co.uk/index.php?cPath=25
They work a treat at stripping out macrovision noise.

Finally, if you need to convert a standard DVD player to multi region...go here..
http://www.sony-remote-hack.co.uk/

I have a dual layer burner, but have yet to find reasonably priced blank media, meantime I can live with quality and feature reductions.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson