councilman24

Pop Top Chest mount manual on line?

The only place I have seen it online is at parachuteriggers.com, where it can be purchased. I have the instructions and will be glad to copy it and send it to you, if you can't find your copy.
Greg Bailey D-19203
S/L I/E, IAD I/E, AFF I/E, TDM I/E, Coach E
Master Rigger
S&TA Skydive Warren County

Packing a chest-mounted Pop-Top is the same as packing a Strong Para-Cushion seat pack or SST (predecessor to Racer). Only stow the left line group on the diaper (Type 2 diaper), then all the rest of the lines get stowed under the pilot chute.

The line stow process is so complicated that I have to stare at the manual EVERY TIME ... despite having packed hundreds of Pop-Tops.

Surely you are old enough to remember Racers before they had riser covers or wedge-shaped reserves????

Oh, I've packed a three hundred plus pop tops, either old SST and Racers, Chest mounts, or pilot seats. Not only do I remember old Racers I have one of the PROTOTYPE Super Swooper Tandems that was given to the U.S. in 1975 or 76. H harness instead of X. The ORIGINAL Struggle Struggle Thump. And I got in the two struggles and the T before it opened at 300' at terminal after a cutaway at 1700'.

Just want the manual for completeness. No issue packing except I'm probably going to put at Phantom 28 in it and use the full stowage diaper. So I'll make it up as I go anyway. Unless someone has a cheap strong lopo with meshed modifications.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Pre phantom national? I jumped the Phantom 28' I've got as a main a few years ago and it'll do okay. Hmmm, you know I might have another lopo around. I've got a Crossbow reserve but no mesh on the mods. But I have a chest mount from my old DZ that I thought had a C-9 in it but he may have changed those to lopos. Need to go look. Don't go out of your way yet.

Can't multi task so reserve handle still at home. get back to you later.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Terry,

If no one else gets there, PM me your s-mail address and I'll set you a copy of the Strong POPTOP manual.

Jim
PS - still looking for that second container... I know its here somewhere...[:/]

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Both the Poptop and para cushion manuals are in the www.ukskydiver.co.uk Rigging Documents section... link here...

http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=320&Itemid=240

Thanks.
That Pop Top manual is extremely vague on what to do with the pilot chute?!

It mentions pulling the locking loops (presumably the ones on the pilot chute) through the grommets and inserting temporary locking pins. The pilot chute is not mentioned, nor is installing the ripcord...

This sounds a bit like those old manuals that state, "Fold canopy in the conventional manner."

I'm curious whether the Baser's instructions are more up to date.

So the the Pop Top of the day would have been made with a fixed length closing loop?

All early Pop-Tops were made with fixed length closing loops, because most containers would only accept one size of reserve canopy.
All the Strong Para-Cusion PEPs are still made with fixed length loops. As long as you follow the Strong manual, the amount of bulk under the pilot chute does not vary.
Adjustable closing loops were not introduced until the early 1980s. Then we were advised to hand sew them to reduce the size of the loops to reduce the risk of canopy fabric getting trapped in the loop.