Stacy

computer issue- PC

My PC is running fine. this morning when I started it up, it had a smell coming from it like burning paper. The tower was not even warm, it started and ran as normal, but that burning smell bothers me. I can hear the fans running, etc, but am wondering what this might be coming from. I'm going to open up the case when I get home this evening and double check the fans, etc, but am open to suggestions!

Thanks!

when was the last time you opened it up and got the dust bunnies out? does it sit near the floor or is it up high? towers on the floor will pick up more dust than you can imagine.

if its real ugly, best to take it outside and blow it out with a can of air. using your vacuum can cause static and thats a bad thing.....

BUNGE

I don't hate them, I just like us better.

I had just replaced the power supply less than a month ago. There were some cords that I didn't bundle together well. got a little dust out too, I cleaned it out majorly when I changed the supply.

It's not smelling anymore though, after rebundling hte wires inside. :)
Kinda was like my PC had bad gas. :D

a lot of the newer power supplies are crap and they fail pretty regularly. Check the fans mostly, make sure you can see them and feel them turning. If they stop or seize, the power supply fries pretty quick.

Also check AC adapters for other gear, your printer and such. Some have a habit of melting down.