mrbiceps

canopies exit weight recomendations

I was looking at a 94 falcon 175 today and noticed that its label rated its max exit weight as 179 pounds? Whats the story with that? I did a bit of a search and found that a sabre2 170 is rated at 255 pounds. Why didnt the makers want jumpers to load their falcons at more than 1.0? Is it not designed to handle the weight ? Is it not strong enough? Are more modern zp canopies so much better that they can handle a heavier jumper? thanks for the help guys?

I was looking at a 94 falcon 175 today and noticed that its label rated its max exit weight as 179 pounds? Whats the story with that? I did a bit of a search and found that a sabre2 170 is rated at 255 pounds. Why didnt the makers want jumpers to load their falcons at more than 1.0? Is it not designed to handle the weight ? Is it not strong enough? Are more modern zp canopies so much better that they can handle a heavier jumper? thanks for the help guys?

Falcon

Because its an old design.

The Falcon was also TSO'd as a reserve (and not unlike today's reserves, should not be too overloaded).
The TSO and therefore placarded max weight was different in 1994.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The Falcon was tested under TSO-C23c, Category B. That is 300 lbs. at 175 knots. It is legal up to 254 lbs. exit weight when used as a reserve. The 179 lbs. is probably what the manufacture feels the jumper can survive when landing it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I was looking at a 94 falcon 175 today and noticed that its label rated its max exit weight as 179 pounds?

Uncoated 0-3 CFM fabric looses porosity as you pack and jump it. PD's cross-braced Excalibur was allegedly too porous to land at less than modern wing loadings after 300 jumps.

Older designs with rectangular planforms and the aerofoils used at the time don't shut down as well as more modern designs. I touch down with less forward speed under my Samurai 105 at 1.9 pounds/square foot than my Monarch 135 at 1.4, and would not jump a square canopy loaded over 1.5 pounds per square foot at elevation on a hot summer day especially with a tail wind. I think PD's current recomendations are pretty close to the limits you want to observe if you'll ever end up at a higher elevation DZ.