gracefulglider

aad removal for maintenance

i was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations regarding cypress removal. its that time.. gotta send in my cypress for maintenance. but a rigger friend told me just to rip it out myself.. i keep asking questions, even talked to the people at cypress, but i don't seem to be getting much feed back. . so i guess i was just hoping someone might have something to tell me before i pop my reserve and take it out.

thanx u guys!!
cheers

In all honesty it's very simple procedure.

but with anything simple - if you are hisitatnt about it - get a rigger to do it for you.

pop the reserve
remove the freebag
remove the cypres blackbox from the pocket
push the cutter(s) and the control unit through the channel back to the control box. and I mean PUSH - do not pull them by the wires.
store your rig/reserve in a large garbage bag or closed plastic storage bin.
fill out : https://www.cypresusa.com/service_form.asp

send it off

Make sure your store your opened rig safely. I use plastic tote or rig only plastic garbage cans. You don't want you cat peeing on it, to snag it with the vacuum cleaner, to spill nachos on it, etc.

If my customers are nearby I prefer to do it, and don't charge them for it, because I consider opening the container as part of the inspection. Pull force, PC launch, how was it packed, any issues with bulk or wrinkles, etc. That's how I found the issue with Quasars that led to the recall.

No reason why you can't take it out. Just remember you life depends on this thing. Handle it accordingly.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

In all honesty it's very simple procedure.

but with anything simple - if you are hisitatnt about it - get a rigger to do it for you.

pop the reserve
remove the freebag
remove the cypres blackbox from the pocket
push the cutter(s) and the control unit through the channel back to the control box. and I mean PUSH - do not pull them by the wires.
store your rig/reserve in a large garbage bag or closed plastic storage bin.
fill out : https://www.cypresusa.com/service_form.asp

send it off

Add one thing.... Tie a string around the cutter and when you push the cutter out, pull the string thru the channel where the wire runs... Tie both ends of the string together once the cutter is removed.

For installation, you can use the string, tied onto the cutter again, to pull the cutter thru the channel.... Some rigs it is a waste of time. Other rigs - this technique is important for sanity...

Councliman says: "No reason why you can't take it out. Just remember you life depends on this thing. Handle it accordingly."

Agreed. However, when the factory sends it back to you: Please have your rigger do the re-installation.

I actually was referring to the rest of the rig, reserve and H/C, but the AAD also.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I think it would be a good idea to get the rigger to show you how to remove it. I few pieces of hook velcro in there to be careful with and non-riggers can sometimes forget about that nasty stuff...

Personally, I'd prefer to remove an AAD for a skydiver than have them do it. While it's not that complicated, someone with less experience may run amuck with all the unfamiliar stuff in there.

-Michael