kaerock

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage 15-35%

informed opinion

dropzone.com\Bonfire

Isn't that an oxymoron? :P

that said, nope. But I'll be Billvon does...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Don't fuel injectors vaporize the gasoline?

Acetone also softens fiberglass and makes rubber (like boat bumpers) soft and after a while, sticky. Not sure that's a good idea for fuel lines.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

The article did have some links to people that put the plastic bits in containers with gasoline+acetone mixture to see how long they'd last, and I guess they did pretty well considering that you'd be using a fraction of that concentration in the real world.

-R

It would definately be a good way to improve octane rating. The down side is it might disolve all the little plastic bits throughout your fuel delivery system.

IMO: Not a great idea.

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Actually acetone is the active ingredient in many gasoline additive fuel injector cleaners. Running a shot of it through your fuel system every few months does dissolve some of the junk that gets packed into fuel injector nozzles and increases overall fuel economy. Not sure what the extent of the increase is, but an efficiently running fuel system does help.

Blue Skies,
Adam
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Maybe it gives better gas mileage, but why isn't it being used by the gas companies? The website is written to be prepared to debunk nay-sayers. Not enough information. With the decrease in surface pressure with their claim of a better burn for it, wouldn't it cause a hotter "lean" burn and therefore you see the less smoke out your exhaust? The air to fuel ratio has to be a certain percentage or you could ruin your engine over time. I dont' know. . . it just feels wrong to me.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I used to work with one mechanic that made his own combination of fuel ingredients, a splash of acetone, xylene, and kerosene here and there....

his circle jerk race car ran like a raped ape, right up till it holed one of the pistons....:S

probably not such a good idea, and imagine what it would do to a newer vehicle with all the emision sensors on it.......

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

If you want to try it, a good suggestion I found was to buy a one gallon gas can and mix your acetone into the gas there. Then you can pour it into your tank pre-diluted and it's easier to keep it off your paint.

This is a really good compilation of some different info, including some information from the original post:
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

A couple interesting parts of that site are a link to this web page that markets 100% acetone as a fuel additive. They just bottle it in small bottles for you:
http://www.xtrampg.com/

And another party who tested this in his vehicles and soaked various fuel delivery components in 100% acetone to see how acetone affects those parts:
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone:Dave_Narby

Sorry for all the links, but with fuel prices where they're at I think it's worth the research! Keep in mind these are all personal testimonials, but there are quite a few that say this works.

Anyone have an informed opinion on this one?

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

-Rory

The fellow who was the source for the article above has a web site with a number of other articles that can be found here:
http://www.lubedev.com/articles/

In one of those articles he states that Texaco gasoline provides him with 30% better mileage than other brands - and that's without the added magic of acetone.

For most of his mileage testing he is using his (sometimes referred to as his son's) personal Dodge Neon and he's just driving around town, or down the freeway, or wherever, calculating mileage per tankfull without taking any number of rather important other variables into account. So we're not talking any sort of scientific testing here.

He states that the acetone is a fuel vaporization aid. He explains it several different ways, but this is my favorite:

"The acetone molecule works physically to vigorously shake up every drop of fuel. It acts like an internal vibrator to shake up each tiny bit of fuel so the fuel does NOT ball up or glue together into large aggregate particles. Instead this important additive guarantees more complete vaporization of fuel inside the combustion chamber where it really matters to defeat surface tension."

Keep in mind that he's talking about a physical - not chemical - reaction here. How can a couple of ounces of acetone possibly have that physical effect on 10 gallons of gasoline? It makes no sense.

And another one: "Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension." Molecules that are "sluggish with respect to their natural frequency"??? This doesn't make any sense either.

One quote regarding the use of alcohol in gasoline: "Most of the alcohol that enters your gas came here from Europe as stale wine." Hmm...

But my real favorite quote: "A V-8 has half the time available for combustion that a 4-cylinder engine gets. Each cycle takes half the time in a V-8 as in a 4-cylinder engine at the same RPM. " This one is really bizarre. The cycle time that he's referring to is dependent on a number of variables, but one variable that it is NOT dependent on is the number of cylinders in the engine.

He is pretty big on conspiracy theory, that is the oil companies and auto manufacturers are in cahoots with regulators and politicians to swindle the rest of us by providing low quality fuel (with the possible exception of Texaco, I guess) and poor mileage vehicles. A favorite quote here:

"What have the (mighty and powerful) car and oil industries been doing since 1936? Not to mention the ineffective job the DOE is doing--because it seems they are in bed together: DOE, car makers, Big Oil, API and some members of Congress. "

There are many more perls and gems in his writing if you go read the articles. And very little of it would stand up to serious scientific review.

So, based on this fellow's scientific acumen, does adding acetone to your gas increase your mileage by 15 to 35%? Well, maybe, depending on how much you change your driving habits at the same time. Many folks could get an easy 15% increase in mileage just by changing how they use the accelerator and brakes.