x5glsdiesel

Container/Help

Hello Drop zone, I'm rather new to the sport and have been looking into buying a rig. I have my mind set on a container that will fit my current canopy size and still be able to downsize. Upon looking at the Vector 3, I noticed on the container sizing charts state that most of there containers are able to safely fit three sizes of canopy (Main and Reserve). My question is if someone purchases one of these containers would the main container be able to go from the tight fit to the loose fit without too much stress and stretching by the time it reaches the loose fit. (If the reserve is a Standard fit.)
Or would they have to change reserve size for main size. Example---- Tight Main/Loose Reserve [:/], Standard Main/Standard Reserve, Loose Main/Tight Reserve. To Avoid the most stress to the container. Any help/advice would greatly appreciated Blue Sky's
Go Out and Jump.

Many times yes, you can downsize a size on your main on with a container. That is not always a guarantee, though.

If you drop UPT an e-mail or call them with your current main and reserve size, they will be able to tell you what would probably fit in either direction.

[email protected]

Mark posts here as well, but I know he'll answer if you shoot him an e-mail.:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks AggieDave I will Drop UPT a line in the near future. I was Wondering about the Vector because a lot of other manufactures only quote one size smaller than containers made size. I was curious how often people use containers 3 sizes without worry. I'd like unbiased Thoughts about the containers as well.
Go Out and Jump.

What you really want is a Racer. :)

Or any other rig with a Racer-style closing loop anchored to the pack tray so that it has to pass through all four flaps.
Look at Javelin, Reflex, Vector 2, etc.

I can tell you this. My new Micron will arrive monday, and my old container was a vector 3 v348. I started with a 170 main 160 Reserve combo. I put the following parachutes in with the 160 reserve.

Sabre1 170
Stiletto 170
Stiletto 150
Crossfire 139
Cobalt 135
Velocity 120
Velocity 111

This is quite a range as you can see. It was a brick with the 170's in it. 150 was starting to get easier to pack and everything else just got better actually (as far as packing goes).

As you downsize your main, that main continues to go into the same 170 sized d-bag. So as you can picture if you put a smaller canopy in a bigger bag it expands more inside the bag and isn't quite so compressed. My velocity 111 was quite small for that d bag, but it expanded to fill the bag. Everyone will have their own opinions about how much you push the limit but my experiences were all good.

If you plan to experiment with different canopies 7 cell 9 cell, or with different sizes and types (Student, eliptical, crossbraced) it really saves you from having to keep switching containers.
Matt