jspace

its finally time for the first jumpsuit

its finally time to get my first jumpsuit. most people at my dz think i should go with a tony suit. i fall like a rock and occasionaly slide around in the mud on landings. basically i'm just looking for a sturdy rw suit. any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

Tony Suits are great, as are other brands. I jump a Flite Suit myself.

Some considerations: Try to get your measurements taken at a professional skydiving gear shop if at all possible. The people who work in these shops are quite good at it and have lots of experience. You may also want to conside placing your order with a gear shop. They carry more weight with the manufacturers than you do by yourself, especially if there's a problem with your suit after delivery.

I didn't see any jump numbers, but if this is your first suit I'm betting you're a newbie. I'd recommend the reinforced knees and butt for your suit, so you don't wear out your suit figuring out your landing approaches. Also, if you're getting a RW suit, definitely get booties, you'll be impressed with the difference they make. And just my opinion, but try to get booties with zippers, otherwise you might have to take your shoes off to get out of the suit (from personal experience).

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

An alternative could be to get a cheap 2nd hand suit to start with, if any are available. This may be a good idea if you are new to the sport and still sliding in your landings.

On the event that you rip/tear/damage your suit on a landing, which would you rather do this too? Your brand spanking new, shiney and expensive suit, or a cheap suit that is there to take the brunt of your learning curve while you get better at landing.

Then once you have your landings consistently sorted you can get a new suit, made to measure and you'll look the part without as much worry of getting a huge mud/grass stain down it from a bad landing!

As for brands... many people will go for different ones for different reasons. When you decide to get one made, search around, see what people at your DZ have for comparison and opinions and get whichever one appeals to you the most!
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

You mention that you "fall like a rock". Be sure to discuss this with the suit manufacturer. Jump suits can be designed to adjust your fall rate.

For example you mentioned Tony brand suits. While they market thier "pit special" as being a suit worn by RW champions... if you read carefully, it is intended for smaller jumpers. The "Tony" MODEL from Tony Suits (brand) is designed for large fast fallers.

Other manufacturers can build you a suit to meet your fall rate needs too.

Be DAMNED sure to get measured by someone who kows what they are doing. My wife and I read the measurement instructions three times and measured me several times... and I now have a suit torso that is too short. (Yes I know the vendor can fix that... but I don't have 8-13 weeks to wait for a fix... so I just struggle.)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!