gmanpilot

Is spelling important?

what is really funny is you attacking those who refuse to use proper grammar as 'lazy' by using the position that it makes it easier to communicate i.e for the reader to be lazy instead :P

old english 'standards' changed because usage changed.. modern 'standards' are evolving in exactly the same way. No matter how much the determinists whine about how 'wrong' a current usage is, once it is commonly accepted it becomes the new 'standard' by default. Even if last years grammar anthology disagrees... language is a living thing. the 'rules' are simply documents of dead and dying conventions

apostrophies are archaic. there is no instance where a perceptive reader would be confused without them... of course a lazy reader might ;) they (like many other 'standards') are a crutch for those who cannot think critically or read for content, but must instead rely on additional signs to point the way..

It is best for the writer to put in a little more effort so the reader can be lazy because lots of people read the post compared to just one writing it. Basic rules such as using capital letters, sentences, and paragraphs are very important because it allows the reader to read naturally, few words at a time, etc. People who don't put capital letters at the beginning of a sentance confuse the brain and makes reading much more of a task, and makes skim reading near impossible.

For the live of me, I can't get the exceptions right on the i before e except after c rule.

" 'I' before 'E', except after 'C', or when sounded as 'A', like in neighbor or weigh."
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I understand your point; however, I disagree with it.

In "casual" writing, the rules for punctuation can certainly be relaxed to a point without losing too much of the meaning of the sentence.

Said relaxation, however, DOES come with it's own cost of the writer appearing "lazy" to those who DO know the rules.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706