antonija

GPS logger

I went through the wingsuit section and I couldn't find any new post about which GPS loggers are the current "standard" for skydiving. Lots of people mention WBT-201, but that unit has been around for few years and things change quite fast in electronic gadgets.

So is there any tried and tested GPS logger out there that most skydivers use to track their jumps? Like sony cameras are for video sort of thing?
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

The WBT-201 still remains the GPS logger that is the most reliable in a skydiving environment. That is not to say there isn't another newer unit out there that can be successfully used for skydiving, just that out of all of the units out there, the WBT-201 remains the most reliable.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I built one with an integrated altimeter, unfortunately it lost its fix in the aircraft and didn't re-acquire until I was under canopy. I've found a different antenna but it's too expensive. Haven't had any time to work on it :(

-Michael

So when people use GPS to make jump profiles.. do they use altitude data from GPS or do they use secondary skydive computer and sync altitude data with GPS position?
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

So when people use GPS to make jump profiles.. do they use altitude data from GPS or do they use secondary skydive computer and sync altitude data with GPS position?

If you use Paralog and a GPS receiver, the altitude data is automatically imported when you download the GPS track. GPS altitude data can have a margin of error, which is usually shown as a +/- XXX ft on receivers with an LCD display, a data logger without an LCD display will not. Trying to Synch altitude data from a secondary source to a GPS position is tricky. It is best to use a secondary source as a reference to check the accuracy of the GPS derived altitude data.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Got the unit, teste it on the ground and it works perfectly.

Now I have another request: Is there a way to download data from WBT without using computer? I have a symbian phone I was hoping to use for the download (it has bluetooth and is running symbian 60v3), however I couldn't find any software that would allow me to do so.

So if theres anyone that has found a way to download the data (no data stripping or anything like that, just download raw data files from wintec) onto a symbian phone... please let me know!!!

BTW, the phone is nokian n95.

As far as I know, there isn't a way to do that. However, contact klaus at paralog as I do believe he has a version of Paralog that works on phones.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It is possible to get a 3D fix with a GPS and it will give you your altitude above MSL, however I haven't found this to be very accurate.

-Michael

Is this for all 3D fixes or mainly just in freefall? I'm after some data on canopy flight so the more accurate the better.

It is possible to get a 3D fix with a GPS and it will give you your altitude above MSL, however I haven't found this to be very accurate.

-Michael

Is this for all 3D fixes or mainly just in freefall? I'm after some data on canopy flight so the more accurate the better.

GPS derived altitude data can be off slightly in some instances. However, a GPS receiver with a barometric altimeter can be more accurate. The problems arise when the user doesn't adjust it on the ground and or how the GPS receiver uses the two. Some receivers allow you to turn off the GPS and baro derived and averaged alti numbers and solely rely one or the other.

Depending on what you plan on doing with it under canopy, the difference in altitude may not be great enough to be noticeable. Paralog can help you with that in the graph section when you download your tracks.

The key to all of this is that you need to tear into the GPS receiver users manual and do some additional reading to understand the complexity of this issue as it is a bit more involved than my synopsis here.

If I can find the links to a few good articles on this subject I will post them.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Cheers for the info. I wasn't aware that there was an option of barometric readings as well.

I'm interested in getting some altitude and vertical speed profiles for swooping and glide angles and altitude loss through turns for base.

Do you have any names of different units that I could research/compare? I've only just become interested in this so I'm trying to find a good starting point.

Cheers for the info. I wasn't aware that there was an option of barometric readings as well.

I'm interested in getting some altitude and vertical speed profiles for swooping and glide angles and altitude loss through turns for base.

Do you have any names of different units that I could research/compare? I've only just become interested in this so I'm trying to find a good starting point.

For what you want to do, the best way to do it is to buy a WinTec-201 GPS logger and a copy of Paralog. The Wintec is the size of a Neptune and simply logs data and it does it very well. The Paralog software is to do the analyzing you want to do. It can display the info in graph form and in visual form over satellite imagery with info for each data point. The Wintec will cost you about $100 and a copy of Paralog will run you about $70. It is by far the best price for what you want to do and both are the best product for doing it.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Im also interested in GPS data for swooping and wingsuit.

Its seems to be wintec 201

or

Garmnin Foretrek 201,301 or 401.

I was told not the 401, because it has barometric, which will mess up data, vertical speeds.

I aslo have a Mac, will the wintec work with a Mac?

Any advice, Loudiamond? you seem to know the ins and outs.

Blue skies
Kai

Im also interested in GPS data for swooping and wingsuit.

Its seems to be wintec 201

or

Garmnin Foretrek 201,301 or 401.

I was told not the 401, because it has barometric, which will mess up data, vertical speeds.

I aslo have a Mac, will the wintec work with a Mac?

Any advice, Loudiamond? you seem to know the ins and outs.

Blue skies
Kai

I am a solid believer in the KISS method and the Wintec 201 and a copy of Paralog works fantastic. I also have no issues with the Garmin Foretrek 101/201 units as they work well too with a copy of Paralog. I also use a Mac so as long as you're using Paralog you won't have any software/download issues.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I read the specs for the WBT-201 you mentioned.

One interesting item seems conspicuously absent - the frequency of "waypoint" when recording internally.

How often does it store a waypoint?

It logs data points every one second.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

http://www.flytec.com/Products/Variometers/6015.htm

Way too big for skydiving IMO and at $650.00 it is way overpriced.The Wintec 201 does all of the necessary things for SKYDIVING for roughly $99.00 and it's the size of an audible altimeter and fits inside your helmet. Soaring electronics are way over priced, especially for skydiving.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Maybe you have heard or not but there is a new AUDIBLE GPS made in Canada. Check this site :

www.flysight.ca

It tells you your GLIDE ANGLE, your HORIZONTAL SPEED AND THE VERTICAL ONE as well when under the parachute. The cost is about 250.00$ Canadian dollars.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

5Hz recorder the size of a credit card...

http://www.semsons.com/qsbt5hzspre.html

can't see too many drawbacks to this!

I built one and jumped it a few times. Unfortunately it would always lose the GPS lock in the cessna. It would then re-acquire once I was under canopy. I added a MEMS pressure sensor and gyro to it but lost interest and never updated the firmware to add those devices to the SPI bus.

I also wrote a small app for the blackberry. Didn't finish it but it was able to give me an accurate altitude on the climb up. Maybe GPS has improved enough with cell site assistance to work.

-Michael

5Hz recorder the size of a credit card...

http://www.semsons.com/qsbt5hzspre.html

can't see too many drawbacks to this!

I built one and jumped it a few times. Unfortunately it would always lose the GPS lock in the cessna. It would then re-acquire once I was under canopy. I added a MEMS pressure sensor and gyro to it but lost interest and never updated the firmware to add those devices to the SPI bus.

I also wrote a small app for the blackberry. Didn't finish it but it was able to give me an accurate altitude on the climb up. Maybe GPS has improved enough with cell site assistance to work.

-Michael

you built one of the CC sized ones or used one of the Qstarz ones?