darren71

my first rig....affraid for sabre's hard openings

I WANT my parachute to opening in 300-400 ft. when I'm doing a demo from 2500'. Or a hop and pop from 3000'.

I'm right there with you man. I have 6 or 7 hundred jumps on my sabre 190. and i know when I pitch I'm gonna have a open canopy over my head in under 500 ft. I have tried a lot of stuff with the nose. and the best I've found is the do nothing to the nose technique. and quarter that slider and keep it up against the stops. I had a slider on a old strato cloud rip in two on deployment once. now THAT! was a hard opening. it almost knocked me out. I saw stars just like in the cartoons. of course one mans opinion is another mans bullshit.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I have 600 jumps between my Sabre 170 and 150. Never been spanked, let alone slammed. I just gently tuck the nose and quarter the slider. Nice brisk openings, but still soft. Those 800 foot snivels are just a mal that finally clears.:ph34r:

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I only have about 60 jumps on my sabre 150 but I love it. I have a pocket added to the slider my rigger did to slow the openings. I also don't do anything to the nose, but i push it in really far. (that's what she said)

But anyway...I LOVE mine, haven't had any trouble yet, and I learned to pack on it so my pack jobs are not great.

And I want to know my life is saved just a little sooner.

All you newbies are wimps!!!;)

Sure older canopies opened in 300-400 feet, but they were using Dacron lines, so the opening shock felt like a Spectra/HMA lined canopy opening in 600-800 feet.
Which lines do you use?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

my old school sabre 190 has micro lines. I'm sure they are arn't dacron. some form of spectra/hma/ something or other I'm sure.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Both my triathlon and sabre have microline.

Seems like my Comp. PC used to open as hard. But that was 28 years ago and my memory doesn't work so good. I also used to open in a track all the time.;)

I'm glad to see there are some other jumpers out there who don't like riding streamers either.B|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

my sabre 170 has a slight tweak to it, when i bought it used, the person before had a slightly larger slider on it. the openings are beauty at around 600 feet. I quarter the slider and do nothing with the nose.
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

I recently bought a Sabre 170 and I have had no problems with it. I pack it just like any other canopy and have had no hard openings. The person I bought it from put about 300 jumps on it with no problems as well. Just pack carefully and watch your body position when you deploy. I have enjoyed my Sabre so just jump it and see how it opens...you might be surprised. If not there are some suggestions out there to slow the opening.

i'll give another +1 for my sabre150, constant on heading openings in 400 to 500 feet everytime so far (only 20ish jumps on it atm)

i'm with the old school people i guess, those thousand foot streamers are too much when everyone i jump with breaks at 4 and dumps at 3 grand i want my life saved sooner than later

You have got a lot of good advices here about packing a Sabre. I would just add that you have to keep the slider against the stoppers and make sure it will stay there at the S fold and bagging.
I remind you that when the Sabre came out in early 90ties, it became the standard of the world and the first canopy to be really successful with zero porosity fabric. It was followed by : Safire, Pilot, Lightning... which displayed the same features.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I've been jumping my '92 Sabre 135 since '95 and love the fast openings. However, I always split rolled the nose with about 5 or 6 rolls and shoved it in the center then made sure the slider was quartered. Openings were in the 400' range. Very predictable. Trash packing resulted in a much more interesting opening. Lost my goggles once. Just switched to a Stiletto and still adjusting to its' openings. Don't be discouraged. The Sabre is one of the best all around canopis out there.

"Admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof"