hooked

Earthlink as your ISP?

Does anyone on here use Earthling as their ISP for a cable connection? Are you satisfied? Or....what ISP do you use for a cable connection?

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

yes and yes. although, i don't want to assume...i actually use earthlink not earthling. :)
earthlink has been nothing but great to me. it sure as hell beats roadrunner from time-warner.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

I used to have them at home (DSL). Very stable and reliable.
Now I have Comcast cable.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Does anyone on here use Earthling as their ISP for a cable connection? Are you satisfied? Or....what ISP do you use for a cable connection?

J

I have Earthlink and like 'em. When first setting things up I called tech support at both the cable company (Time Warner Cable) and Earthlink. I found the cable tech support people to generally be not all that sharp, but Earthlink's tech support people were first rate.

Walt

I use them for DSL. After some initial issues with the very old lines in our neighborhood, now running trouble-free. Been a customer for, oh, 6 or 7 years now. (started with dial up and changed about 3 yrs ago.)[email]

Geez, now how did that typo get by me?:S:(:S Can't change it now.
It seems as though Earthlink might be a good choice.

J

I'm not sure:S. We're looking in to getting a cable connection and had some info on Earthlink, so I was wondering what the difference would be. Comcast is our cable company and Earthlink cable connection is also available. I also ran across an article that rated Earthlink cable connection as very reliable. And AOL........ Bite your tongue, I would never have AOL!

J

If you have a cable connection, I don't think Earthlink or AOL or anyone else have anything of value to add for anyone with the tiniest bit of ability to surf the net. I dropped them like a hot potato as soon as I got on cable. They have nothing to offer that you cannot provide for yourself.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

J

I had Earthlink for a year or so. They cost $21.95 a month. They were terrible. Slow connections that dropped all the time, horrendous spam, and loousy support.

I got Yahoo/SBC DSl for $19.95 a month. Lightrning fast, on all the time, and the support has been very good when I needed it.

I would never switch my dial up to any other provider as far as dial up goes, I'm happy with my provider. Since we're either going to get DSL or Cable, I thought I would ask about Earthlink, since they also offer about the same deal as Comcast. There is also Qwest for DSL. I just want to get rid of this slow dial up!

J

I've had Earthlink cable for a little over a year now or so. Much better than Time Warner. Same hardware, same cables, but better pricing and tech support, Earthlink just leases the lines from TW.

Regardless of you connection medium- dial-up, DSL, cable, satellite, etc, you still need some kind of service provider, somebody on the other end of the line who has routers and servers and actually connects you to the net backbone. Just because it is cable internet does not mean you are directly connected (this is in response to another poster wondering why you needed an ISP for cable).

Mike

I wasn't asking why she needed an ISP, I was asking why she needed Earthlink or AOL. I have broadband cable through my local cable TV. They are my ISP. I have been contacted by AOL and Earthlink (I had both at one time or another on dialup) and they tried to tell me how much I needed them on cable. With a basic ISP, a firewall, and virus software, I can't think of anything that Earthlink or AOL can offer on top of that that I cannot do for myself.

I did no realize that Earthlink was in the broadband business as a supplier.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Something else to think about is going with cable and then switching your phone service to Vonage or the like. You can get 400 minutes of local and long distance for 14.99 a month or unlimited for 25.00. We have Vonage on Comcast. It has a little more background noise but you can't beat the price. Helps justify the cost of Comcast.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

Your local cable provider is your ISP then. In my area, that provider is Time Warner. I used to do business with them, but they had higher prices and horrible tech support. Their routing hardware was less stable, as well. I ended up getting 4 months in a row of free service, but at the cost of a lot of service outages. Because of this, I switched to Earthlink, who rents the cables from TW and has their own router and server setup. Their prices are lower, the reliability is much higher, and their tech support (the very few times I've needed to call them) were knowledgeable and helpful.

If the local cable company suits your needs, then that is great. For me, they did not, and Earthlink has (so far), and at a lower price. The service is essentially the same. With the majority of ISPs on the market today (exceptions being AOL and maybe one or two others), all you get is a connection to the internet, and nothing more. AOL has their own browser system and subset community, but I've always felt their system is both slow and pointless, so I prefer the "no frills" service I get through "normal" ISPs. Hope that explains it well enough.

Mike