Boeris

Hook Knifes

I have been making a wish list for X-mas coming up and one of items I have on the list is a hook knife. When researching the knifes I realized I have no idea what is best or "good enough". I found some really inexpensive ones but really don't know what works, what is easiest to access, etc... since I haven't used one or even seen one in person. A friend of mine says he can get good prices on Kershaw, Benchmade, Spyderco, SOG, CRKT, Cold Steel and a couple others. Any suggestions on brand or model of choice? I am looking for something fairly inexpensive...

My buddy sent me this link with a few options from Benchmade:
http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_list.aspx?style=Hook

TIA!
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

My bad...I'll take a look. Once I make a decision and get a price from my buddy, (if it's a good deal) I will post it up here.

Thanks John
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

My buddy sent me this link with a few options from Benchmade:
clicky

The Model 5 (top of the page) is the one that comes with Aerodyne's Icon container... it's a good knife, the blade won't fall out cutting lines (again, do a search), and the best bit? It has a built-in bottle opener for making people double-take at the end of the day.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Hey Jerry,
Got a pouch for it? We live pretty close, if you're profile is right. We might have to meet up soon.

SDO still busy? I haven't been out in over a month :-(
Going to AZ next month for the Canadian Invasion....for 16 days!!! :-) Can't wait!
www.theflystyle.com

I'd like to read that...but can't find it online.
Thanks

You'll have to send an e-mail here:

[email protected]

Request a catalog and then you can read the article once it arrives. I don't think their hook knife article is online.

Mike

Thanks Mike! Email sent.
www.theflystyle.com

Hi Justin,

Yup, it has a pouch but I have NO idea if the pouch will work for you.

The owner ( not me ) says its yours if you want it. :P

Give me call tomorrow or whenever: Cell) 503-481-4714 or Home) 503-848-7805

JerryBaumchen

Jerry,
That's awesome, I will give you a call soon!
www.theflystyle.com

I had once a "Jack The Ripper" hook knife wich I used one time but on the ground to cut a line with a smoke generator attached to it. I had the "Jack The Ripper" hook knife in a pocket sewn on the right side of my jumpsuit slightly below hip level.
Now I have a smaller metal handle hook knife (seen on the picture in attachment). I put it on the chest strap because if figured out that it would be a better place to grab it in case of emergency. The pocket is placed with its opening dowward to pull the knife downward when suspended under my parachute. Since the chest strap has the tendency to move upward after opening it's easier to visually locate the knife and pulling the knife downward is more ergonomic.
While the "Jack The Ripper" with double blade is excellent, it is a bit too long to place it at the chest strap. In case of emergency a knife has to be easily available. Under hight pressure, human being just remembers SHAPE and COLOR. That's why I choose that kind of knife and its location.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I have the same knife that erdnarob has, and I've tacked the pouch under my right mudflap. Also a Crewdog friend of mine has one of the Benchmade knives. Very heavy duty.

P.S. The plural of "knife" is "knives".
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy