The111

Where to get RSL shackle?

I posted a thread a while back about different methods for making a disconnectable freefly bungee (for using the same rig for wingsuit jumps). The common consensus was to use an RSL shackle with the bungee.

Well, I have been to 3 different dropzones and rigging lofts and unable to find anybody with an RSL shackle in stock. They've also told me they're "expensive" but the best quote I can get is $35 for stainless and $10 for brass. I really don't care what it looks like, I just need to get one. Is it something I can pick up from a local hardware store? Also, is the material the bungee is made of something I can get at a hardware store? I had to cut my last bungee (couldn't get the knot out, whole reason I need the disconnect) and I'd like to have it all set up before I go to the DZ next weekend rather than have to bother the rigger again just for a little 6inch length of elastic.

Thanks!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The RSL shackles are widely used in sailboats where they are called "snap shackles". Here is one source:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?dispName=SAILBOAT&jspStoreDir=wm51&catalogId=10001&Ntt=Snap+Shackles&N=377+710+1796&langId=-1&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&omniTag=Category%3aSnap+Shackles&storeId=10001
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I like the name: "Bronze Fixed Bail Snap Shackle", it's just a funny name.

UPT's shackles are made in Sweeden, my neighboring country.

:)

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

How many do you need?

Just one, but I've already got one PM offering to sell me one privately, and the link posted for $10 bronze ones looks good too. I'm also considering just using fastex or rapide instead.

Thanks!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com