prodiver913

Vector and Mag riser covers

I can tell you after 400 jumps with them. Some extremely hard openings (including broken femur or worse) have been attributed to a tuck tab releasing before the other one creating a line sets to be taut while the other one still slack.

I am still waiting to see proof of someone breaking a femur (or worse) due to riser covers and I know I'm not the only one waiting for it either. I certainly wont just take someone's word for it either, especially if they picture themselves as a cock.

It's funny how everyone considers magnets "better". Better than what? Bill Booth apparently thought they were better than his own tuck tab design, but not all manufacturers have gravitated that way. I wonder if there is a reason why?

It's funny how everyone considers magnets "better". Better than what? Bill Booth apparently thought they were better than his own tuck tab design, but not all manufacturers have gravitated that way. I wonder if there is a reason why?

As you mentioned, I consider them "better" when it comes to a Vector rig. I've owned 2 Microns, and both of them had issues with the hard plastic inserts in the tuck tabs cracking and trying to scratch through the rig's fabric. Same thing goes for my ex-g/f's rig.

Additionally, I've been witness to riser covers remaining closed after deployment not once, but twice. In the first instance, the skydiver couldn't get them to come open to the point she could steer the canopy, so she cut it away and hoped for the best. In the second instance, the skydiver was able to wrestle her way out of it.

As for other rigs, who knows? While there may not be a persistent problem with people breaking themselves due to riser covers, I think it's safe to say that the magnetic riser covers are an improvement, even if an incremental one. Personally, I think it's worth a few extra bucks for the convenience of them - and if they help with deployment, even better.
Signatures are the new black.

I think magnetic riser covers are a massive step forward.
You also have to remember why other manufacturers not doing yet is because maybe upt will not sell them the rights to use.
They be good when doing hop n pops.
I just hope they are mint as I have ordered a new micron and will have in 3 weeks ;)B|.
Another question to the rigs does anyone no what these are http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4650128&id=64761516148&ref=fbx_album

dive blocks???

I assume UPT pays a fee to Atair to use magnetic riser covers. UPT did not invent them.

Looks like they developed their own. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVRSIicQDk FF to about 5:50
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I assume UPT pays a fee to Atair to use magnetic riser covers. UPT did not invent them.

Looks like they developed their own. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVRSIicQDk FF to about 5:50

I am a big fan of magnetic riser covers. unlike a lot of options they are not only cosmetic. I have a 12 year old racer with them. JumpShack retro fitted for a very reasonable price. yes, UPT did a lot of work to develop (for Sigma and Vector) but they did not invent them - atair holds the patent. As far as I know magnetic riser covers are available on Racer, Vector and Basik Advance Seven.

What is funny to know is when the patent has been made. It is almost at the same time UPT and Basik been ready to introduce this innovation, 2006. This patent has no right at all because it has been used on a lot of different equipements before, like phone pouch and even toggles on risers..
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

Additionally, I've been witness to riser covers remaining closed after deployment not once, but twice.

Just clarifying -- are you still talking about Vectors?

Their tuck tabs are rather long compared to on other rigs.

Yep. This was a V310 Micron, a Spectre 150, and a girl who weighs 120lbs. sans gear.

" .... It's funny how everyone considers magnets "better". Better than what? Bill Booth apparently thought they were better than his own tuck tab design, but not all manufacturers have gravitated that way. I wonder if there is a reason why?

..."

Every system - for holding containers closed - has its limitations.

Hand-tacking only works when riggers use the correct thread and the factory-recommended stitch pattern.

Snaps were banned by the French back circa 1980 after a few jammed. Also remember that the average skydiver is not literate enough to read "Lift the dot" stamped into some snaps.

Pile Velcro wears out after a couple hundred jumps, but the average skydiver is far too lazy to replace Velcro on time.

Tuck tabs are complex to build and require really tight tolerances. Secondly, over-stuffing the top edge of reserve container can render main riser tuck tabs useless. Finally, those tight tolerances often require containers to return to the factory for repairs.

Magnetic riser covers are too new for us to understand their limitations.

Additionally, I've been witness to riser covers remaining closed after deployment not once, but twice.

Just clarifying -- are you still talking about Vectors?

Their tuck tabs are rather long compared to on other rigs.

Yep. This was a V310 Micron, a Spectre 150, and a girl who weighs 120lbs. sans gear.

I have seen this 2 times. Once on Vector 3 and once on the new Icon with skyhook. Both times the risers were packed UNDER the cover flap with the note:"place the risers on TOP of this flap"
I think that the magnets are great solution for solving the problem with V3 riser cover design.
And the problem is that if you have a wrong fabric distribution on the reserve with too much fabric in the "ears",you will have troubles with the riser covers staying closed "in place" when the rig is ready for jump. But if you put the main risers under both riser covers,you might end up in situation when they can remain closed after the deployment.

I'm happy with the tuck tab riser covers on my G4. They work great. I had a baglock malfunction on the second rubber band (about 3 ft above the risers) and the both riser covers were open with no problem.(according to Bill Booth,I had to clear the riser covers myself before pulling the reserve ripcord.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVRSIicQDk ....@ 6:47)

I'm looking forward to see how many manufacturers will change the designs on their rigs from tuck tabs to magnets because of their costumers. Not because their design need change. I know a guy who bought a V3 only because of the magnets:S......Well...we will see
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I have seen this 2 times. Once on Vector 3 and once on the new Icon with skyhook. Both times the risers were packed UNDER the cover flap with the note:"place the risers on TOP of this flap"

To clarify, the two times I've seen it, once occurred with risers tucked under both flaps - once occurred with them tucked on top of the 'Place risers on TOP of this flap' label.

To be fair, however, the Vector 3/Micron manual specifically states that the 'Place risers on top of this flap' label only applies to rigs for the first 50 jumps, after which you can tuck them under both. And for the instance I witnessed in which the risers were tucked under both flaps, the jumper had read the manual and thought it was okay to pack them underneath, since the rig had close to 400 jumps at the time.

(Not disagreeing with you - but just pointing out, shit can happen even following manufacturer recommendations. I love my Micron, and that's why I was thrilled to hear they'd redesigned the riser covers with magnets. They were my only complaint.)

Femur break and aorta rupture due to opening shock were part of articles published in Skydiving Magazine years ago as well as broken ribs.
I had a Vector III with tuck tabs and I remember that at few occasions with a Sabre 2, I got some very hard openings. One of them had my canopy opening within 180 feet (calculated from the Vigil 1 downloaded graph (altitude-time)). This was a real slammer.
Now with another Vector III with magnets and a Katana my openings are always the same. Maybe the Katana helps too. But there is not anymore "so so" openings even if I don't cup after my tracking.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.