prodiver913

Vector and Mag riser covers

We are putting together a video showing how to do the mod (done on my container for the video) and it should be available sometime next week. I will post a link when it is up. This video shows my rig before the mod and after the mod.

Mark Klingelhoefer

The mod is just for existing containers. We have redesigned the way they close. Here are pictures of the way they are currently shipping (with 4 magnets, not 6).

Picture 1 shows the RC closed. 2 Shows them open, and 3 shows the pockets that the "field replacible" magnets fit into.

Mark Klingelhoefer

Mark, it seems implied by your post, but this 'modification' is now standard on all vectors with the mag riser option correct?

Correct. All rigs currently being shipped have the 3 magnet "Sandwich" rather than just 2 magnets.

Mark Klingelhoefer

I misspoke in this post. see the post above this for the current configuration.

Mark

just installed my my magnetic riser cover mods.

I exchanged a few e-mails and a phone call with mark at the end of last week, my mods were delivered to my doorstep monday morning.

can't say enough good things about UPT. great customer service, very attentive crew over there. very professional. also very nice rigs.

thank you very much mark you guys are bad ass.

I didnt have any problems with my magnetic riser covers coming open before the mod. they certainly have even more of a bullet proof look and feel to them now. also the new mods significantly took a whole lot of the wrinkling out from the material around the yoke.

the rig looks, and feels great. thanks again for the bad ass rig. I'm enjoying it to the fullest.

before and after pics attached.

and the tape I used to secure the magnets to the plastic stiffener. was hard to find that type of packing tape for some reason. finally found some, and thought the name was kinda comical considering what i was using it for:D

this whole thread might get more attention in gear and rigging??????

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Is there a magnetic riser cover mod for a Vector II?

I'm sure Mark will chime in, but to my knowledge, no, there isn't.

I've talked to(/annoyed) ;) UPT a few times about getting magnetic riser covers on my 2003 V3 Micron. The word is that in order to retrofit any rig that didn't originally have them, you'd need to replace the rig's entire yoke.

So they don't retrofit. The mod in this thread is only for V3's/Micron's that already have magnetic riser covers - adding additional magnets to account for a few minor problems.

Given that a V2 has velcro riser flaps, I'm pretty darn certain it's the same thing as the V3.
Signatures are the new black.

Is there a magnetic riser cover mod for a Vector II?

I'm sure Mark will chime in, but to my knowledge, no, there isn't.

I've talked to(/annoyed) ;) UPT a few times about getting magnetic riser covers on my 2003 V3 Micron. The word is that in order to retrofit any rig that didn't originally have them, you'd need to replace the rig's entire yoke.

So they don't retrofit. The mod in this thread is only for V3's/Micron's that already have magnetic riser covers - adding additional magnets to account for a few minor problems.

Given that a V2 has velcro riser flaps, I'm pretty darn certain it's the same thing as the V3.

Lloyd os 100% correct on this. The Yoke design is completely different for tuck tabs, First Generation magnetic Riser Covers (the one the mod is for), and the current version of Magnetic Riser Covers. Therefore, there is not a modification available.

Mark Klingelhoefer

BTW, Thanks to the GREENIES for moving this thread to Gear and Rigging.

The magnet mod is fantastic. Mine arrived yesterday - took less than 30 seconds a side to install - and it's now bullet proof. Plus it takes all the wrinkles out, exactly as porpoishead's pics showed.

Not sure what the reference to tape or extreme tape was, as I had no need for any.

Thanks, Mark K, for exceptional service and such a well thought mod that's practical, improves the rig's looks and best of all can be installed in seconds. Oh the price (zero) was also a very good feature that made the decision to order all very easy.

Have a great Christmas.

fergs

the plastic stiffener had double sided tape on it for the magnets to stick to just to get them in place. the packing tape was to secure the magnets in place on the plastic stiffener.

from handling those magnets, you probably realized that they are strong as all hell. you wouldn't want them to become dislodged from the plastic stiffener, and stick together rendering your modification essentially useless.

there is a picture on the front of the manual for the mods that shows the finished stiffener/magnet assembly wrapped in tape

this is from the modification manual from upt. that came with the kits.

part D standard 7/8"-1" wide packing tape.
note: we use this type of tape because of it's non-tear unidirectional fiber(s) properties. if packing tape is not available, other types may be used providing it has similar properties.

step 6 locate your 1" packing or similar tape

step7 starting from the top, rear; begin wrapping the magnetic strip like a barber-pole

figure 7a shows a picture of what the plastic stiffener with the magnets wrapped in tape should look like.
Perry Farrell

yeah sure bud, will do. thought about that after i posted

another possible problem with the magnets becoming dislodged without the tape on to secure them in place is, you might end up with a stack of magnets on one spot and have some kind of funky opening from uneven riser pressure.
Perry Farrell

What's up everyone,

I just saw this post and wanted to say that I have made several flights in both type of magnetic riser covers.

With the original version I experienced problems only while going over 180mph, and making very radical speed and angle changes. Also notice that this problem was only happening to a particular size container.

As Mark already explained there is already a modification out to solve this, and it even makes the rig look better.

Now, I have put at least a few hundred jumps on the new desing and it is bullet proof. Have been playing going at speeds of over 200mph and doing speed and angle changes and haven't been able to open them.

Also, someone mention the packers. Yes, make sure your packer is familiar with the design, since I've seen them a few times closed the wrong way.

Just my opinion, take care everyone and keep on flying!

Luis P

The Yoke design is completely different for tuck tabs, First Generation magnetic Riser Covers (the one the mod is for), and the current version of Magnetic Riser Covers.

Do you change yoke with tack-tab too,
or they are still the same as were previously?
Lexa

Correct. All rigs currently being shipped have the 3 magnet "Sandwich" rather than just 2 magnets.

Mark Klingelhoefer

Sweeeeet!

My self and my partner have ordered 2 microns each with magnetic riser covers, I love Vectors, my current rig is a 1999(arizona airspeed 8 way, team USA rig) V3 with more than 4000 jumps on it, though a bit faded it is still as funtional as it was when it was new.

The new microns have nice new modifications but the only thing that concerned me a little (from viewing older magnetic riser covers), was the crinkleing of the yoke. Not that that effected the funtion of the rig, but because we all want our rig lookign good, as that is piece of mind.

This modification has improved the function and the look of the rig, well done.

Thanks UPT for being so innovative and making such a quality and safe product.

Now roll on May, and I look forward to meeting the UPT team in florida when we get there.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I have a new Racer 2K3 with magnetic riser covers and they come open almost every time I do head down. Anyone else have the same problem?

I looked at the website and didn't see any evidence that mag riser covers were an option on any jumpshack rigs... did i miss something?
Owned by Remi #?

I have a new Racer 2K3 with magnetic riser covers and they come open almost every time I do head down. Anyone else have the same problem?

I looked at the website and didn't see any evidence that mag riser covers were an option on any jumpshack rigs... did i miss something?

magnetic riser covers are not an option they come standard even on the shadow racer 2k3 (all black, no options). I have found it is always better to call them to work out what is available and the best choice.

The new Vector riser covers magnets (2009-2010) closing/matching from inside to outside are supposed to do the job for freeflyers. I have a 2008 Vector with magnets (closing from outside to inside) and never had any problem. I am a belly flyer but I had to do a max dive several times. Packers like the magnets but I noticed that some of them are not closing them properly.

The main advantage of the magnets is that the openings are always the same (provided the same other parameters). I can tell you after 400 jumps with them. Some extremely hard openings (including broken femur or worse) have been attributed to a tuck tab releasing before the other one creating a line sets to be taut while the other one still slack. That situation can create a very hard opening. On the other hand, many tuck tabs are difficult to keep in place.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.