Darius11

Here is a really stupid question.

Is there anyone out there who thinks skydiving is a 100% safe?

The reason I ask this is I see so many people talking about how when they got hurt or there friend got hurt it became real to them. You are jumping out of a fucking plane you can get hurt and die. I know that’s obvious but I guess I just don’t get how some seem to not really grasp that.

I don’t know maybe I am just newbie who doesn’t know shit but what am I missing?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

nope - whats safe about a bunch of lines and nylon holding you in the air about 4,000 ft? :P

But I've also had to stop telling my mom about how I messed up and got hurt over the weekend. :D She's never going to watch me jump at this point :P

Jen
Arianna Frances

I think alot of people, especially younger people who haven't had anything happen to them have an invincibility complex. Thing like "that" just don't have to "me". But then those things do happen and it pops that bubble and thats when you find people saying "it made it real to them".

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

I think alot of people, especially younger people who haven't had anything happen to them have an invincibility complex. Thing like "that" just don't have to "me". But then those things do happen and it pops that bubble and thats when you find people saying "it made it real to them".

... and they wanna sue the crap outa somebody because they got hurt and 99 to 1 it was their own fault!

Chuck

Yes me,but my body and orthopod might disagree! Then again I thought holing a firecracker in my teeth was cool & safe at one time also.
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

... and they wanna sue the crap outa somebody because they got hurt and 99 to 1 it was their own fault!

...which really pisses me off. It's their own damn fault, why are they trying to blame someone else. I sprained both my ankles on my fourth jump two years ago, and it was my own fault. It didn't even occur to me to blame the DZ. I strongly dislike it when people do....

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci~

...which really pisses me off. It's their own damn fault, why are they trying to blame someone else. I sprained both my ankles on my fourth jump two years ago, and it was my own fault. It didn't even occur to me to blame the DZ. I strongly dislike it when people do....

I've seen (attempts) at suits at our DZ. Had one guy want to take a copy of his waiver to his lawyer before he signed it! Do some people live in a bubble? Life is risks and chances. If, you want to 'live' you gotta take chances. As we have learned, even Disneyland isn't 'safe'. People like that, also piss me off!!!>:(

Chuck

You mean it isn't?

:)

But Rev with 2 jumps your ready for a VX88 don't forget to hook :P;) :D:D
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Nothing is 100% safe. I don't see how jumping out of a plane is any different from driving the roads in NJ. Actually I think skydiving would be safer in that situation. You can get hurt or die from doing anything, and those people that do try to sue due to an injury should get over the thought that they hurt themselves at a dropzone. It's completly ridiculous. Last February I had a bad injury, and my mom said something to me about how if i died she would have sued, and i told her that she better not have even thought of that option. I told her that skydiving is like anything else, there's always a chance of being injured or dying. I told her that if something happened to me, that it was probably my own fault, and I deserved it. She didn't like hearing that come from me, but she understands now.

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

The reason I ask this is I see so many people talking about how when they got hurt or there friend got hurt it became real to them. You are jumping out of a fucking plane you can get hurt and die. I know that’s obvious but I guess I just don’t get how some seem to not really grasp that.

I don’t know maybe I am just newbie who doesn’t know shit but what am I missing?

I think there's a difference between grasping it intellectually and feeling it emotionally. And that's when seeing friends get hurt or die really brings the reality of this sport home to you. At least in my case, it's not that I didn't "get it" when I started, but going to my first memorial service for a skydiving death put that into cold, hard, real terms. This wasn't some person I read about on DZ.com and used as a learning opportunity; this was the guy I'd been hanging out with just the weekend before.

For me, that's what it means to become "real." Didn't change my feelings about the sport or the risk I was taking; in fact, I was jumping the next day. But it was very tangible at that point.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You mean it isn't?

:)

I thought you were getting the 39?????

I thought about it, but since I don't own a C.Y.P.R.E.S. I thought it would be unsafe. Besides, it wouldn't fly well in a 2 out with my PD126R, and I don't want a 99R. :D
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I think there's a difference between grasping it intellectually and feeling it emotionally. And that's when seeing friends get hurt or die really brings the reality of this sport home to you.

Correct. There is no substitute for personal experience. No matter how much you accept the risk in your head, you may change how you feel after seeing things firsthand. As humans, we place experience above all else as the #1 teacher. Which is why, when it comes to debates about gray areas in skydiving such as what to do with a PC in tow, etc, each party always bases their answer on their own experience.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com