chaoskitty

Would you go to a boogie if you didn't hold the license required to jump there?

Depends on a lot of things. ;) Like who I was going to see there, etc. I'm not gonna go to a shitty boogie where I can't jump, but I'll go to a good one. :)
So I said yes - for the party.

Two cases in point: this weekend, where I can't jump because of my ankle (and the fact that I no longer have a main :D) and Rantoul, where, now that I've done one jump there, I never want to do another. ;)

Say a boogie has a license requirement. Whats the point in going if you cant jump?

Just curious..

Did someone say PARTY?!

I went to Rantoul in 03 with a broken ankle. for 7 days. I golf carted my happy ass everywhere, drank lots-o-beer, some pain killers, and met sooo many people.
I loved it.:)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Well yah sorta.. you hold the license requirements for this weekend and for Rantoul.
But I hear ya on going to see friends. I've gone to boogies that werent exactly convenient because I wanted to see friends or it was important to someone important to me. So I agree thats a good reason. B|

I would go... there is always something new to learn (especially newbies like me! :)
I have learned so much that wasn't taught in the FJC through being around more experienced skydivers.

"me you alcohol a rig a car and a bunch of planes what could posibly go wrong" - Pruitt

Yeah, for me, the reason I couldn't jump would make no difference. Injury, not having the right license, etc., wouldn't matter to me.

If I were injured, I'd still go just to hang out. But if I were perfectly willing and able to jump, and I just not allowed, I'd rather go jump. Sitting on the ground would just piss me off.

Now if I went to a boogie expecting to jump, and didnt think the landing area/aircraft/weather conditions were safe and made the call *myself* not to jump.. that'd be different. I'd still probably leave in time to hit another DZ that weekend.

Well, I didn't go to Quincy when I first started because I had only 25 jumps or something. At 25 jumps I learned way more hanging out at my home dropzone being mentored by the people who knew where my strengths and weaknesses were and would do things like watch my landings and video my track. I also had WAY more fun hanging out at my school than going to a boogie. So, for me it would've been lose-lose to go to a boogie where I couldn't jump.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I see your point. But here's how I'll break it down. When I had less than 50 jumps, I wasn't much into traveling to different boogies anyway. And at this point, if I find a boogie that requires a C or D, I probably wouldn't want to be jumping into wherever they are just because I would perceive it to be over my head.

Sooooo . . . we're back to, "It's all about who's there." ;)

1. Wouldn't waste my time nor their's.

2. I would hang out maybe. I would ony gain advice from credible sources that know what their talking about and have been in this Sport awhile etc.

3. If I really wanted to jump at that particular dz then I would make an effort to go by their requirements and gain the necessary license etc. 4. Have Whopping Good Time.:)

2yrs ago i got in a car accident and to this day I still haven't jump yet but it is coming soon! So needless to say should I stay home and not socialize and feel like i'm in jail this whole time or go out and visit my happy places:PCan't wait to get back up in the sky;)

Blue Skies and Terminal Memories 4 Life

I hold an 'a' license and have never had any problem jumping anywhere including one dropzone in England, three in Spain and quite a few in the U.S. Show up with a rig and people are usually pretty cool. Besides it usually says _ license or equivalent. One point though, until you show you can fly your canopy they may have you land in a student area.

Maybe what you NEED is to get out to a boogie and just socialize. I find skydivers(and skydiving) just THAT more interesting before/during/after jumps.

Here! Take this 'get out of Jail Free' card and just go hang out...you don't need to sit alone at home when there is beer to be had and things to learn! Its a warm, welcoming community once you find your 'niche'.

I wish you a quick healing on that car accident! Blue Skies~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Just had a conversation with someone last night about why people go to boogies..for the jumping and kuhl jumpships? or for the social aspect and partying?

I go for the jumping and kuhl jumpships. It would drive me crazy to be grounded at a boogie. So no, if I couldn't jump based on a license or other reason, I probably wouldn't go.

Did someone say PARTY?!

I went to Rantoul in 03 with a broken ankle. for 7 days. I golf carted my happy ass everywhere, drank lots-o-beer, some pain killers, and met sooo many people.

Man, I'm glad to hear that! I will not be able to jump by Rantoul this year but still might go with some of my friends from the home DZ just to see everything and have a good time! Wish I could jump though!B|

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Depending on how far it is, I would go.

There is always something to learn.

My dream is to jump in big ways, with 50 some jumps I'm a long way from getting invited. I would love to lurk one of those weekends at the major dropzones to see how it goes. Should I stay home and do a couple two or three ways or go feed my dream at a dz that will only let me watch?

I'd go watch, hang out, ask questions, etc.

My dream is to jump in big ways, with 50 some jumps I'm a long way from getting invited. I would love to lurk one of those weekends at the major dropzones to see how it goes.

Living in Florida you can go out to any of the bigger DZs and watch and learn.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Here! Take this 'get out of Jail Free' card and just go hang out...you don't need to sit alone at home when there is beer to be had and things to learn! Its a warm, welcoming community once you find your 'niche'.

thanx and that I plan to do this summer and hopfully by next i'll be jumping again too;)

Blue Skies and Terminal Memories 4 Life

Did someone say PARTY?!

Man, I'm glad to hear that! I will not be able to jump by Rantoul this year but still might go with some of my friends from the home DZ just to see everything and have a good time! Wish I could jump though!B|

My advice:
Arrive, check-in etc. Aquire golf cart. Drive golf cart to store and buy beer. Drink beer, drive golf cart.
Pick up skydivers and give them rides to and from landing area.
Youll meet soo many people, and learn a lot too.
Take a video camera. Video the swoop pond.
Video the party at night.

If you cant have fun doing that, I can help! :D:D
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865