LyraM45

Suit alterations? .....

Hi, guys. I wasn't sure to post this in general questions or gear/rigging, but I was wondering if anybody has any experience doing alterations to a freefly suit? I am looking at purchasing a suit second hand by Ouragan, that is custom made for somebody 1" taller than me, and 5-10lbs heavier than me. Doesn't sound too bad, but the suit was originally made for a male, and I am a female. What worries me is the extra inch in length and maybe differences in the hip/bust area. (but I'm thinking the 5-10 lb weight difference might take care of that and if anything I'll have to take it in to fit.)

I would have to take a shot and just go all or nothing with the suit purchase since it's out of the country and I can't try it on. Is it easy to get alterations done on a good suit like that? If so, am I better off getting it done at an alterations shop that knows nothing about skydiving suits, or better off sending it to the original manufacturer. (which I thought we be a little weird since I didn't buy the suit from them originally and don't want to offend them somehow.)

Any input you guys can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!! B|
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

It could be a good pick for you.

The extra Height will help in the bust as well as the extra room that was for the heavier previous owner.

It is a good idea to use a good rigger or tailor who has woirked with material of this sort and has the threads you'll need to make the alterations last.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I've had all my suits altered in some way or other. Some were sent back to the manufacturer and some were altered by riggers. The manufacturer will charge for alterations (probably more than a rigger...plus you have to account for shipping and whatnot). It seems less expensive to ask a rigger for help for certain things if they are not HUGE alterations. Get someone who knows jump suits to measure you and see where the alterations need to be made if you send it off. This will give them more of a map on how to make it fit you properly. I know for my grippers, they have to use stronger thread. I don't know if they do that with regular seams or not. You might ask if you take it to just a regular tailor who doesn't understand the conditions and use of the suit.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

Right now the person selling the suit is a female who's has been flying the suit recently, and from what I gather if anything it seems it might be a little big on her up top vs. the bottom, so I have a feeling the hips might up being a little bit of an issue. (but I hope not because you're 100% right, its not worth it to add fabric.) This is the part I'll be gambling on the most.

I will definitely seek the help of a rigger, and if it's something that is a little more complicated, even seek out the help of the original manufacturer. I had a feeling I shouldn't trust regular tailors, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the input and any other suggestions to come! B|

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Parachute rigging and the associated sewing are completely different for tailoring. I can patch a hole, maybe replace a zipper. But once I tried to make my own jumpsuit and didn't have a clue.:S

That's not to say that a rigger CAN'T be a tailor but most I know aren't. On the other hand a tailor will not be aware of the strength needed and often don't make things rugged enough.

The manufacturer may be the best bet but check the cost to see if it's worth it.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'm going to submit that as long as whatever you do on the left is the same shape and size as whatever you do on the right, it's not a big deal.

I've done mods to more than one jumpsuit, including covering the grippers on my current one.

It's not a certificated piece of equipment, it's strong clothing. The only thing I'd worry about is whether the butt is too small; that's harder to fix than taking anything else in.

Use it as an excuse to learn how to sew. I hate sewing new things, but fixing is fine, and all my pants look custom-made any more.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Had mine altered by a taylor worked out great. Get the sellers measurements if the suit is alittle big in all areas then it really shouldn"t be a problem. If it's tight in the butt then I'd pass and keep looking.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Hey there - Me again!!

Why not email me your measurements (lets not do that on a public forum! ;)) I'll go find a tape measure and that way we can figure out who has the biggest butt :P and see if the suit will work for you!

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!