WatchYourStep

How many rowers are here?

After reading a previous thread it got me wondering how many rowers or former rowers are here. Chime in and give a little bio: Where'd you row in college? Are you rowing in a club now? Highlights?

Rowed at KU in college
Coaching Crew at KU now
Took 3rd at Dad Vails in the Men's Light 4.

Rower-
We go to Natchitoches every year for the marathon. Head of the Hooch is the regatta in Atlanta I was talking about.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I only did about 2 years in college... I discovered it late in my life/college career...

But I pulled bowseat (mostly...) at the U of Cincinnati as an undergrad and also did some crew @ Carnegie Mellon University...

I was never very fast (I'm kinda short @ 5'7") My Personal Best 2k time is 6:59.8 which was very painful B|...

The endorphins I get from pulling an oar is better then any drug I've ever had (of course that consists of only booze...) :D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

1989 - 1992 - University of the Pacific, varsity crew, #3 seat in the openweight 4+. After college, I trained in a pair for 4 years with a partner from Fordham out of the Lincoln Park Boat Club in Chicago.

Now, I pull on my erg every morning from the comfort of my living room...5K meters a day, 20-30K meters each week just to keep the blood flowing.

I miss the sunrise on the water...

I've been rowing a bit over a year and never had the experience of college rowing. I row on a women's competitive team and am concentrating on single and double sculling. The club has lots of sweep rowing too.

Right now I'm getting geared up for the head races. I'm training for the longer rows, which I actually prefer to the sprints. I think Head of the Hooch is 4500 meters?

The only thing I don't like about rowing is that it sucks being small. I think there needs to be a featherweight class! I'd like to cox more, but am scared that I'll get pegged as a cox and never get to row again.

Where do you row in Texas? My girlfriend is from Texas and her sister rows at Texas.

I enjoy talking about rowing, which is probably why I coach. Rowing in a shell with a group who work well together is an unforgettable feeling.

I'm not much of a fan of the fall. Although we have had a Women's 4 in the top 10 for the past few years at the Head of the Charles, but they all graduated last year. :( We get really geared up for the spring. Being on the line next to your opponents. Just typing about it I get goose bumps.:o

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

She rows at "Texas"? Do you mean UT? I row at Austin Rowing Club. UT is just down the river from us.

We have a group going to the Head of the Charles this year. I've elected not to go to that one and have instead decided to go to the closer races so that I can do more of them. Also, Head of the Charles is extremely competitive and I'm simply too novice to go. Plus, I'm sure I wouldn't get chosen due to my size.

She rows for UT the club not the D1 program. She rowed at Austin Boat Club last summer I believe. Do you know Caroline O'Hara?

Univeristy of Scranton 97-98 4th seat in an 8 man boat.

We were awful, but it was fun. I loved being on the river at sunrise. B|

I'm not rowing now -- too many other activites.

Edited to add: Did I just say I loved being in the most polluted river in America (Susquehanna) at 4:30 in the morning when it was 40 degrees out? :S:D

Edited to add: Did I just say I loved being in the most polluted river in America (Susquehanna) at 4:30 in the morning when it was 40 degrees out? CrazyLaugh

Yep, you sure did... my rivers were the Alegheny and the Ohio... I remember one morning on the OH during flood season where part of my Job in bowseat was to keep my eyes open Trees (Yes, I said trees...) we didn't stay out very long that morning... :o:D...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Edited to add: Did I just say I loved being in the most polluted river in America (Susquehanna) at 4:30 in the morning when it was 40 degrees out? :S:D

Ahhh, just thinking about 40 degrees on the water in winter makes me cringe. We rowed on the San Juaqin Delta...one of the best waterways to row on as it was glass smooth, 300 meters wide...and over 60 miles long. We would get some cargo tanker traffic when the tide was in, but alas...the ships just made it interesting.

Do you remember the first time you found the "swing"? Getting all 8 hitting the catch cleanly and powerfully...boat got up out of the water for the first time and you really moved...hearing and feeling the bubbles under the hull? Cox is really giving it to you..."up two in two..." You are not tired, in fact...you get stronger...awesome feeling.

Do you remember the first time you found the "swing"? Getting all 8 hitting the catch cleanly and powerfully...boat got up out of the water for the first time and you really moved...hearing and feeling the bubbles under the hull? Cox is really giving it to you..."up two in two..." You are not tired, in fact...you get stronger...awesome feeling.

Yeah, the sounds and the feelings of boat truly in sync were quite stirring -- a great adrenaline rush. That's about the time I'd usually catch a crab!