xcalout

140 sized main in Icon I5

Hi all!

Did anyone tried to put a pilot/safire2 140ft into Icon I5 container ? Aerodyne charts show that for such canopy size, I4 would be best, but I was wondering how it would fit in a bit bigger container (there is a 170 ft reserve in there). Is it too loose (dangerously)? Or leaving I5 dbag and shortening a bit the closing loop would be ok? I don't have such sized canopy anywhere around, so I would like to hear your comments if you tried such combination.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Not precisely the same situation, but we tried putting a Sabre2 150 in my I6 (Aerodyne charts say down to 168), and it felt really wrong - I didn't want to jump it, and the rigger who looked at it agreed with me.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I have a katana 135 in a I5 with a smart 160. It's just doable but am not real happy about it. Am thinking about a new container...

I guess your rig might just be ok if you shorten the closing loop (a lot :) )..can't tell for sure though..

I also had a crossfire2-139 in my rig which fitted rather nicely....don't know if pack volume of safire and crossfire2 are the same.

Hi Greg,
I have been using various Icon sizes, and found that you can get away with using a size bigger canopy with I5 works just as well as using a size smaller than you see in Aerodyne charts.
I had Pilot 188 in I5 even though it calls for only 168. My friend has been using his I5 with Mamba 132, quite comfortably.
I4 calls for canopies from 132 to 150, but I had Pilot 117 in it and it worked just fine.
Hope it works out for you.
Good luck,
Leszek

I think am the friend Les is referring to, unless he is talking about my friend Matt who has my rig's clone. I had a 132 Mamba in the I5 for 150 or so jumps. No problems, I just tightened up the closing loop a good deal.

I have had a 117 in there as well but it is starting to get soft. :P

I think this is one of the real advantages of where the Icon has the closing loop mounted. You get a ton of range. Mine has had from a 188 to a 117 all in the same container with good closing loop tension. :)

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P