moth

red wine & caffeine

WTF would caffeine be doing in red wine? It doesn't naturally occur in grapes, so they'd have to add it, which would be an abomination.

Where'd you hear this caffeine thing anyway?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

its because my gf cant have caffeine and we are looking for an alcaholic drink for her
how do you know that there isnt any?

Because grapes don't contain caffeine. What kind of 'wine' are you talking about? :S

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Actually not an unusual question. People often think that red wine has caffine because of the head aches that it causes in people. Not "hang-over" headaches, but headaches 15 mins to an hour after drinking as little as one glass. This reaction is similar to reactions that caffine sensitive people get from drinking Coke for example.

In wine, this is often a result of the sulfates that are added druing the wine making process.

S.

And for that matter, no spirits, wine, or real beer contain caffeine either. Why on earth is it an issue? Just mix with juice or a non-caffeinated soft drink.

There is no caffeine, although there are sulfites and tannins which people can be allergic too. I'm allergic to both, but have learned to take Allegra or Claritin for a few days before an event where there is going to be red wine and if I'm going to Napa Valley I'm like an athlete in training with the decongestants and anti-histamines. (I love red wine, it just doesn't love me)

One thing I have learned from Napa is ask about the sulfites and tannins, you would be surprised about the differences in concentrations between types of red wines. Merlots and Shirazes one glass will kill me (not literally, more like I wish I was dead), but Cabernet Sauvignons and Pinot Noirs several glasses seem to be ok.
Fly it like you stole it!

FYI everyone

I was at Trader Joe's the other day to pick up some red and the wine guy said that Chilean wine's are generally organic (i.e. no sulfites) - just how they genearlly make it down under, even if it isn't specifically labelled organic.

Cool thanks, I have never had Chilean wine, so I'll have to give it a try.

There's lots of them - good ones too! I was there and someone I was buying red for told me to get organic. Oh, and I think he said that Fetzer usually is too (or at least their Merlot).