dgskydive

F---er Shot my cat!!!!

One thing that I don't think people are seeing is, the community that we live in. Certain things are excepted, and certain things are not. Cats roaming the Ghetto are allowed. shooting cats even with a pellet gun are not.

The owners of the property are all for handling things if it is bad. I.E getting rid of problem animals. There is a way to handle the situation. 1st you talk to the owner, if that doesn't work you talk to the landlords. They will either fix the problem or get rid of the problem.

Example. One of the residents dog hurt another dog. Broke it's jaw. WE all think they where playing but the owner was told to get rid of his dog. He did. No one had to shoot it. The problem was addressed and the problem was fixed.

When there are literally 10 to 15 cats out and about all the time. They at least as far as I know are all fixed and get along as well as cats do. They usually respect the other cats territory and no worries. If there is a problem most people talk to the other owner about it.

Those that think I was a bad neighbor, well not really. There is a community standard so to speak. It is well within the rules. Even the owners of the property agree with that.

Most people leave food out for the different animals in the ghetto. We all (well most of us) look out for each others animals. That is why this is such a big thing to most of the people in the Ghetto.
Dom

***So the trick becomes - how do you tell strays from pets? [//quote]
That's not too hard, once you become used to feline behavior.

Cats that tend to be standoffish even after seeing you several times are usually strays. They have experienced life on the "streets" and have lost or lessened the ability/desire to trust humans (which is a learned behavior, unlike canine behavior).

Cats that are fully de-socialized or have never had positive human contact are considered feral. They tend to be the ones who run if you get within 10 feet; hunt in the garbage cans incessantly, and are not spayed/neutered (kittens around). They tend to be mangy, filthy (as in grime and layers of it, not just rolling in the garden dirty), and generally pretty skinny no matter how much is fed (parasite infestation from fleas and other biting insects).

If a cat comes to you, or if he doesn't run when neared by a human, he's likely not a stray, just a cat running 'round the neighborhood.

There are two cats currently around my place. I can't get near them for anything. They've been hanging around for several years. They know I'm "safe" but they won't let me approach at all. I believe that they were both neutered, because one's a male (no marking stench), and one's a female (no heat, no kittens), but both are scroungy and skinny.

There are two other cats which hang around, and both are pets. Molly (the cat) lives next door but often meets me on the back porch wanting some lovin' and dinner. Big Grey Guy is someone's cat, because he loves his belly rubbed, and won't move out of my way if he's got the sunny spot on the walkway. Both are clean, with good coats, and no fleas (as far as I can tell), and both are very healthy weights.

Does the above always tell you? Nope...but it usually does.

BTW, Thanatos, there's a product called Folex which is an amazing spot cleaner for carpets. It also handles the smell of marking. I used it on a bad Koolaid spot in my living room (from the previous people), and it took the old, red spot out. I've used it when a rescue hasn't quite figured out the litter box, and my house does not smell like cat pee. I swear by it, and recommend it to anyone with either stubborn stains (like cat marking urine) or stinky carpets. And...it works on grass stains on your jumpsuit, too. This is a very nice bonus, especially for me. LOL!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~