cvfd1399

Looking for a R.C. Twin Otter

Ha . We just talked about this 12 hrs ago at our dz.
The motors seem small, so they were wondering if twin.40's would be too much.
Man I just switched over this week to the dark side (flying Gas planes) after 2 years of flying electric Zagi's and similar foamies. Holy shit ! Gas planes.. OMG ! Too much fun. Speed and power and distance traveled is incredible now. Never thought i was good enough , but all the practice payed off. Was flying like a pro instantly, well the take offs weren't that great but hey no crashes. (yet)
Back to twins: Not even wanting to try to syncronize two motors. When it comes down to it, i just want to go fast and try to rip the wings off. Yea not many twin otters out there for R/C.
But it would make it good DZ mascott.

It would be easier to make a single engine Otter, since you wouldn't have to sync the engines. You'll probably have to end up custom making it yourself...which would be a bad ass project!

You could paint it up cool and pain on a fake jump door and camera bar/step.B|

Oh, yes, single engine Otters have been used as jump planes...although the only one I can think of is the one that was crashed at SD Texas a couple years back.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The twin engine thing is solved by electric motors that are in sync. I agree about the gas motors tho seems like much fun, If the gas twins are off by just a bit it seems that a bit of trim might fix it. I think I am gonna go for the kit from rtmodels.com. I will figure out powerplants later. Thanks:)

Thats a pretty good kit.

It is Electric or .10-.15 power. 2 stroke.

It has a boxy fuse however.

I have been looking for a better one, but have not found one.

There USED to be a great kit, but ti is not made anymore.

Dave, you don't have to sync the engines that much, and there is a single otter kit already being made in Canada.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Thats a pretty good kit.

It is Electric or .10-.15 power. 2 stroke.

It has a boxy fuse however.

I have been looking for a better one, but have not found one.

There USED to be a great kit, but ti is not made anymore.

Dave, you don't have to sync the engines that much, and there is a single otter kit already being made in Canada.

Lots of sanding can take care of the boxiness. I'd use a couple of .25s

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hi Guys,

I mfg. this Twin Otter and someone e mailed me about the thread. Not very much as far as Twin Otters on the market. There are plans in the future to do a 100" for .60's in fiberglass and foam version but is still a ways off time wise. mraerodesign.com also has plans to do a 100'' TO in the future. Unionville kits out of Canada does have a single Otter kit. No website though although a web serch will preview pictures of it.

And Ron is correct the TO in question is not a scale bird it was designed as an easy building/great flying design. If anyone has any questions feel free to check out the website and e mail/call me.

Thanks,
Mark Turner
http://www.rtmodels.com

What is the biggest problem kit builders have seen in the building process?

Chad,

Biggest thing is people want a bigger and more scale model. And most de Havilland nut do not like the long nose version but is easy to modify. Biggest comments are that while it looks like a TO it is a squared off verion and actually was done that way to be a easy building bird.

I do have the building manual on-line in PDF format in the "support" section. So you can see just how it builds.

It was designed as an easy building bird there are several comments on this one over on E zone.com do a serch for Twin Otter but here is one thread on it. Several others have been done over there as well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230083&highlight=Twin+Otter

That one was done as a short nose and built from plans.....I sell kits or I do have plans for those who like to build from them.

Thanks,
Mark Turner
http://www.rtmodels.com